Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Exterior Mod Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Your Exterior Mod Opinions

Hello Folks,

Posted this in another area without any replies, so I thought I would try out the crowd here.

I've got a number of cosmetic things I am thinking of doing to my first ever Audi. I couldn't afford to buy one and run it in England. I want some opinions on these mods and any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

1) Fitting Euro plates
2) Painting the wheels. I have too many scratches and it is time to get them fixed. Black or Gun metal??
3) Painting the door blades (Not sure if I should go with Black, Gun metal, or Silver to match the body)
4) Tinting the tail lights black.

Any other suggestions?

Pics attached. Any Paintshop experts, a mockup would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Your Exterior Mod Opinions

These are all good ideas.
I wouldn't paint the RS4 wheels nor would I paint the door blades. They're fine the way they are. As for tinting the tail lights, I would say do it. I just finished mine yesterday and they look great. I just wouldn't over do it though cause they may look tacky.
I would try to find different wheels instead of painting them because there are a lot of people looking for those wheels but hey they are your rims. Debadging the the car would look nice also but you're going to get a lot of different opinions.
Good luck!!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

Hey EnviedA6 ....what did you use to paint your tailights..
and do you have any pics.. i was considering painting mine
that clear black... i wanted to see what they look like before.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

If you go to the photo gallery and type in C5 Envied A6, I photos of the tailights on there or just go to new photos. Let me know what you think.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: EnviedA6

If you go to the photo gallery and type in C5 Envied A6, I photos of the tailights on there or just go to new photos. Let me know what you think.
Or how about just click that little image of a camera next to your post?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

You will get a lot of opinions on things to do or not to do, but at the end of the day tastes vary and what someone else likes or dislikes shouldn't have that much impact upon what you do.

That being said, I can tell you things I would not do. I would not paint or tint the taillights, because frankly I don't think it looks better and any amount of light output decrease can't be a good thing - especially when the driver behind you has the sun in their eyes. On a white or silver car I think the clear taillights look ok, but truth be told I think it is more of a ricer trend - not a European styling trend.

Speaking to those without the S6 or RS6: I also would never - and I mean never - put badges on the car which don't match what the car really is. Thus, if you own a standard A6, don't be a poser and replace the badges with S6 badges or even worse RS6 badges. If you have an A6, you have an A6 - no matter what the little emblem might say, and frankly people that do that are all about image and less about substance - meaning they obviously don't understand what being a real driver is all about.

As far as painting the wheels, the color is heavily dependent upon the color of the car, but personal preference comes into play. On a light color car I prefer gun metal - but if it was a black car I would go with a black wheel (but may consider adding a polished lip to the wheel for contrast). Size wise I would stick with a 18 or maybe consider a 19 if the streets were good and I didn't have to fear potholes, but no larger than that.

On a coupe I would consider adding a small spoiler to the decklid(not a wing mind you) but on a wagon that isn't an issue. I might also consider window tint, but nothing too dark - I don't like the "drug dealer" look. 35% is about the limit, and even though it is legal in most areas to tint the rear windows darker, stick with the same tint on all windows because the two tone tint doesn't look very good IMO.

Who knows....the list goes on an on, but the bottom line is you need to do what you like. I would recommend you keep it tasteful and try to ask yourself if you could see anyone other than yourself noticing the minor change you make, but if you feel something and want to give it a shot - it's your car and you should do what you want.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

"Speaking to those without the S6 or RS6: I also would never - and I mean never - put badges on the car which don't match what the car really is. Thus, if you own a standard A6, don't be a poser and replace the badges with S6 badges or even worse RS6 badges. If you have an A6, you have an A6 - no matter what the little emblem might say, and frankly people that do that are all about image and less about substance - meaning they obviously don't understand what being a real driver is all about."
"it's your car and you should do what you want
"

Makes me wonder what you drive since you do talk a lot, I believe you're shooting the paragraph above at me so...
It is my car and i will do what I want. I don't have an S6 nor an RS6, that wasn't the whole idea of making it into another car and that's why the badge just says "S", plain and simple for S Line.
Why would you recommend putting clear tail lights on a certain colored car? Would it matter if it was any other color? I say no, it's based on the owner and why would you bring it up if you say it would look like a ricer? Really, it just seems like you have bad taste, bottom line. You contradicted everything you said. It's an opinion with a negative. Do this do that but it looks ugly? That's pretty much all you said. Why don't you just tell all the guys here to not put RS4 wheels or RS8 wheels on your A6 because it's not either one or stop looking for S4 engine parts for your A6. You couldn't have said it any better,
"You will get a lot of opinions on things to do or not to do, but at the end of the day tastes vary and what someone else likes or dislikes shouldn't have that much impact upon what you do."
Now who's a poser?[:'(]

Old 06-14-2007, 01:53 AM
2nd Gear

Pheww! Lots of tension in this post

I think that as it was mentioned above it is all a matter of taste and opinion but yuo can ask for opinions, most do in these car forums!
So here it goes.. (sorry I could not open the piccs to see the wheels, car color, mods...)

1) Fitting Euro plates
Do you have a pic? If it is what I think.... I am not a fan,
I like the clean look, least busy is best for me. No plate in front unless required.

2) Painting the wheels. I have too many scratches and it is time to get them fixed. Black or Gun metal??
If your car is silver, then I would stick to Gun metal and leave the lip polished. Gun Metal wheels look great on silver a6's. Nice contrast, a little sportier look IMO.

3) Painting the door blades (Not sure if I should go with Black, Gun metal, or Silver to match the body)
WHAT color are they now? I am all for matching the car's color, keep it clean.

4) Tinting the tail lights black.
I'd like that for mine but no with tint,, aprofessional paint job with clear coat or a set of Hela;s for $300 and keep your stockers in case you get cored wiht the dark ones or want to sell the car as stock.

I would debadge too, easy qiuck free mod. Clean look that keeps people guessing!

Other good mods for looks if you don't already ahve them : Lower it, get spacers, thicker exhaust with tips, clear corner, RS6 spoiler, Tint, LLTEK mesh badgeless front grille, RS6 side skirts, RS6 front end.... Depends on taste AND MONEY!
Can you post pics of your car in the thread please?
Thx

Old 06-14-2007, 01:56 AM
2nd Gear

who said dark tail lights don't look good on a silver A6 ? !

Old 06-14-2007, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear

Hella Smoked tailights, $259 at ECStuning

$279 at AWE TUNING
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/image.../2947_x150.jpg

Quick Reply: Your Exterior Mod Opinions