Audi A7 Athletic, elegant and dramatic, the Audi A7 is a five-door coupe with the graceful look of a benchmark luxury sedan.

Audi quality starting to slip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default Audi quality starting to slip?

Hi all,

I posted this here because I'm considering a 2012 A7 for my next car. My 1.8T has been an absolute gem with normal wear and tear maintenance to take care of. Lately though I'm starting to see a few things slipping in terms of quality and above all, accountability.

What I'm referring to is, among a few other things, the huge oil consumption issue. When I worked at the dealership I had a lot of Late model A4 owners buying oil in the parts dept. this was not to do an oil change but to top up the oil as often as a litre every 2 weeks it was a bit ridiculous and Audi NEVER admitted fault in this matter when we all know that this is NOT how a normally made HIGH quality and HIGH priced car should run.

On top of these issues there were issues with mechatronic units (the brains of the automatic tranny) and a few others I can't remember. Having worked in the parts dept, I was starting to see a pattern and it was not looking good.

Now before I start getting slammed let me jus say that I love Audi's. I love the look, the way they drive and the styling BUT I don't believe in blind faith or loyalty and I'm not a fanboy. What I love more is a car that looks dead sexy, is reliable and is backed by a company that doesn't pass the buck although I know that every car company does this to an extent.

So in light of this I find myself at a cross roads between Audi and Mercedes. I don't know what type of inherent problems mercedes has and I'll do my research for sure but my brother has one and he loves it. To my knowledge there is nothing out of the ordinary that he has to do to keep it running smoothly.

So now the question..... Do the 2012 A7s have the oil consumption issue? And if not, are there any inherent issues to look for with this model?

Cheers and thanks.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

I've had my 2012 A7 since July 2011. No oil consumption! I did have a 2010 A4 which did have problems with oil but Audi did make some fixes that solved the problem.
I now have a Q5 with the 4 cylinder engine (same as A4) that is giving no oil problems. I still have my A7 !
halp

Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM
2nd Gear

That is great to hear and a step closer to me getting one but this may be an isolated issue. You may have been blessed by the car gods when you got your A7...

Can we hear a few other opinions to solidify the previous posters findings? Anyone?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 AM
2nd Gear

Anyone else????

Am I to believe that HALP is the only A7 owner here?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
1st Gear
Default 2013 a7

I have a new loaded A7. I got it in July 2013 and it has a little over 10K miles. So far I have had the mechatronic unit replace twice. It took over a month to get the part on the second one. Just got it back in service yesterday and it seems to be doing OK. They did rip out my viper remote start system.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TheGman
I have a new loaded A7. I got it in July 2013 and it has a little over 10K miles. So far I have had the mechatronic unit replace twice. It took over a month to get the part on the second one. Just got it back in service yesterday and it seems to be doing OK. They did rip out my viper remote start system.
Did they say the viper remote start had anything to do with your problem? or did they just rip it out for no reason? Just curious, because I was considering getting a remote start system for my 2014 A7.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Default remote start

NO, they wouldn't say the Viper system caused the problem. They did, however, provide a strongly worded verbal threat that I should not reinstall the remote start. I asked why and there only reply was that they didn't like it and it might void my warranty if I reinstalled and had the same problem. I could not get them to put that threat in writing.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:00 AM
2nd Gear

DON'T DO IT AGAIN!...... WHY?..... BECAUSE WE'RE AUDI AND WE DONT LIKE IT WAHHHH.

Yup, sounds like an elitist German car company lol. I wonder if the Merc guys are this stuck up.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM
2nd Gear

GMAN,

For the record. When I worked at the dealership, we got a few mechatronic units from various new models that were defective and had to be replaced on warranty. This is why I like manual transmission. Sure it's hell in rush hour traffic but if you're a car guy, being in control of the engine and the power really makes it enjoyable.

A few years ago I started "rev downshifting" (press clutch and gas at the same time to downshift smoother) and I loved the feeling of relearning the car again. Auto transmission just doesn't allow for that type of self expression.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 AM
1st Gear
Default New A7

So Audi and the dealer finally worked a deal for me to trade for a new A7. They really gave me a good deal and I can't complain. The dealer made a special effort to make it all go smoothly.

The new A7 is essentially the same but the home link control module was DOA. So they have a new one (homelink) and I get it replaced next week.

Quick Reply: Audi quality starting to slip?