Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

"The Best Car in the World"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 06:45 PM
1st Gear
Default "The Best Car in the World"?

This was Rolls-Royce boast or advertisement for many years...

I've had three A8: first, one of the very first ally 4,2 then a more recent one (old shape, five speed auto) and now the W12. I truly loved my fist A8 and was stunned by her agility that belied her size when I first started to drive her hard... Did over 150,000 km with her with no noticeable problems (except long time to fix the alarm after burglar attempt-an unfortunately quite common occurancehere in Brussels...). I thought she put boredom to the rank of a virtue, being so efficient, fast yet safe and comforting! Did 120,000km with the next one, no probs either... but the arrival of the W12 put it all into a different perspective: a friend of mine who had been a very important Mercedes dealer until he sold a couple of years ago and who is just as mad as me about cars told me after driveng the W12 that Mercedes should worry...

Now is it the best car in the world?

I'm lucky to have driven the New Phantom, the S-class, the Phaeton, the Bentley Continental and the Arnage T, (but never the 7 series nor any Lexus). The Rolls is fantastic in its modern and German interpretation of the traditional R-R virtues which are best summed up by "waftability", a genuinely surprising car if one can live with the statement it represent (I couldn't in Brussels-I do in London!).

I am not too sure about the shape nor the girth of the new S-Clas but having ridden (not driven) in the S65 V12 AMG, I can safely say THIS is the ultimate Q-Car! It is SOOOO fast it belies its size and weight, but its ride while excellent despite those tyres, is still quite hard and not limo-like.

The phaeton (and her twin in drag, the Bentley...) is a very competent car but unfortunately, it is MUCH too heavy (and am told some people cannot live with that badge on a limo...).

The Spur, beside sharing the ponderousness of the Phaeton, has a surprisingly harsh ride and I find VW's take on the Bentley song not nearly as convincing as BMW do with Rolls. Fantastic pick-up once it gets moving, though. Good brakes too but oh, My! they must be working!..

The A8 is fast, comfortable, discreet yet beautiful, all her fittings work well (I only wish I could pair te MMI with my Treo!) the "sensing" speed control is very clever (not exclusive to Audi, though) and her built quality is excellent. only problem: the chirp sound mentioned by several of our fellow forum users...

What is sad is that speed limits are nowadays much more efficiently enforced throughout Europe and only in Germany could one enjoy the "Autobahnkurier" virtues of such car... And arrive relaxed!

I nevertheless look forward to a long love affair!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: "The Best Car in the World"?

I was gonna say the Bugatti Veyron, unless we're talking about cars I can actually AFFORD, then it's a 1983 2CV, needs some engine work, minor rust, $100.00 OBO

Old 12-07-2006, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

haha my bro has a 745i and he thinks he cant get a better car than that

Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

u want a 2vc my bro has one for sale