Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2004 Audi A8 MMI Screen lights up but does not extend

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 Audi A8 MMI Screen lights up but does not extend

I picked my 2004 A8 from the body shop yesterday, it has been in there for a month. A tree limb from about 40 feet fell on the roof back in late October.

Had the roof repaired through paint & body work, headliner had to be dropped and the antenna was replaced.

Got in the car and noticed that the radio was on but the MMI screen was not extended so I pushed the open close button on the dash i saw the screen illumination turn off, so I turned it back on, it seems that all the controls via the MMI panel are working properly as I can see through the dash where the screen retracts. The only function that does not show on the screen is when I use the climate control and seat temp, it normally dispayed when i would adjust the tempurature.

The guys at the bodyshop said that they didnt disconnect anything up front near the screen only the battery had been disconnected. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes but still no screen action, not even a motor noise. I never had any problems with the screen opening before or any weird clicking sounds.

They had me go by Audi and they did the reset, put it on the machine but the only thing they could come up with is that the motor may have gone bad and that I maybe decided to go bad while in the bodyshop and blame it on Murphys Law. I really dont see how it could have. I would probably believe that but the climate control temp and seat temp doesnt show up when i adjust.

by the way, I bought a brand new MMI control panel last February.

Any ideas? thanks for the help. wes4quality@gmail.com

Last edited by A84ADATE; 01-13-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: email addy
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
1st Gear
Default UPDATE to MMI Problem

Originally Posted by A84ADATE

I picked my 2004 A8 from the body shop yesterday, it has been in there for a month. A tree limb from about 40 feet fell on the roof back in late October.

Had the roof repaired through paint & body work, headliner had to be dropped and the antenna was replaced.

Got in the car and noticed that the radio was on but the MMI screen was not extended so I pushed the open close button on the dash i saw the screen illumination turn off, so I turned it back on, it seems that all the controls via the MMI panel are working properly as I can see through the dash where the screen retracts. The only function that does not show on the screen is when I use the climate control and seat temp, it normally dispayed when i would adjust the tempurature.

The guys at the bodyshop said that they didnt disconnect anything up front near the screen only the battery had been disconnected. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes but still no screen action, not even a motor noise. I never had any problems with the screen opening before or any weird clicking sounds.

They had me go by Audi and they did the reset, put it on the machine but the only thing they could come up with is that the motor may have gone bad and that I maybe decided to go bad while in the bodyshop and blame it on Murphys Law. I really dont see how it could have. I would probably believe that but the climate control temp and seat temp doesnt show up when i adjust.

by the way, I bought a brand new MMI control panel last February.

Any ideas? thanks for the help. wes4quality@gmail.com

Update!

Sorry for being so lengthy but im sure it may help someone else.....

The next day my battery was completely dead. Had the battery & alternator tested, was told the alt was doing its job but looks like that battey is bad, therefore I had a new BOSC battery replaced, the car drove fine etc all day but the MMI screen did not extend, I noticed that the CD CHANGER was a little slower than normal while changing songs and initiating.

The next day I got up to go to church and the new battery was super dead and no life what so ever. Got it jumped off after it took almost 5 minutes to get enough amps to crank it. Noticed that I kept hearing crackling in the speakers while cd and radio was on, also when I pushed the onstar button it was crackling, the inidcator between the onstar button was now green instead of red as it always has been.

Last night I decided to disconnect the battery so I could start the car in the morning to go to my INDEPENDANT AUDI/ VW Shop in Marietta. Connected the battery, car started just fine, turned on the MMI and the screen opened as it normally does, got on the highway and noticed the map screen GPS was going crazy so I did a hard reset (tel-big round button-right soft key) when I was parked and it was all fine and GPS recognized its location again.

Waiting at the shop now as my technician is going thorough codes and reset. I believe the MMI was not sleeping when the car was turned off, hopefully with the battery being disconnected over night it reset it to work properly again. I will see what he has to say.

I hope this may help someone else that may be experiencing this type of annoying problem. I will update later.