Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2005 A8 Power Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
1st Gear
Question How to replace the trunk lid struts?

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
Technical Service Bulletin 55-06-01, Concern #2 addresses your description directly.

"...may be caused by:

Trunk lid hinge is stiff (corrosion in the hinge joints).

Wrong Gas-filled strut installed.

Trunk lid drive unit does not provide enough torque for operating the trunk (particularly in subzero temperatures), solenoid clutch in the drive slips through."

The fix involves replacing the hinges and/or motor. Bummer...
Good morning,
I was wondering if any body knows how to replace those gas filled struts that assist lifting the trunk lid. I bought a pair online and wanted to try to do it myself. By just looking at them, it seems to be a little complicated.
Thank you so much,
A.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A8 Boot problem

I have the same problem as the DaveG73.
The boot lid tries to lift and shuts again. To open it I have to help it up about 30mmand it opens automatically and when I press the button it closes without any problems.
Can you please help? I am handy mechanically.
Regards

Old 08-16-2014, 12:47 PM
val
1st Gear
Default trunk won't go uo

Originally Posted by DaveG73
The power trunk does not lift automatically using either the key fob, button on the trunk, or the drivers door. Dealer told me the lift motor is bad. $828.00 to replace it.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement motor? And the instructions to replace it myself?

Thanks!

You can raise the grommet screw up on the drivers side of the trunk and it will work on its own. If you can't raise it enough put a spacer on top.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

The only long term fix to deck lid problems is to upgrade to the improved metal housing motor.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 AM
val
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jakematic
The only long term fix to deck lid problems is to upgrade to the improved metal housing motor.
Not only is the adjustment working flawlessly the trunk springs open like it used to. I don't believe in a bigger hammer mentality I like to get to the root of the problem before I start changing things. Simply physics wins every time .

Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by val
Simply physics wins every time .
Yep, that's why Audi designed a more powerful motor

If it works the cheap way go for it - no need to spend additional money if the fix gets you by for a while !

Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM
val
1st Gear

It's not getting me by for a while it's working as it should. The motor has plenty of power, the design of the trunk was slightly flawed now it has been corrected and is working better than it ever did.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by val
It's not getting me by for a while it's working as it should.
Excellent. You know where to find the part # if/when it fails.
I've seen a lot of these... hopefully yours is the exception.

I was pleased to see the D4 engineers scrapped and corrected the whole ridiculousness of that design.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:04 AM
1st Gear

Try this repair before buying a replacement motor:

Remove the trunk motor.
Open the motor casing. (Several torx screws to remove)
Use rosin (the material used to coat violin bow to increase friction) to rub round the magnetic side of the coupling. The idea is to increase the friction to prevent slipping when opening the trunk.
Revers the process.

It worked in my case, in which the trunk would open an inch or so before dropping back down. Probably 20-25 minutes needed in total.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

You can raise the grommet screw up on the drivers side of the trunk and it will work on its own. If you can't raise it enough put a spacer on top.

I have this problem on a 2006 a8l. I have to help the bonnet up about .5 inches before the motor takes over and continues to lift it. It closes and locks fine.
Can you help me with the gromet screw you ar speaking of?

Quick Reply: 2005 A8 Power Trunk