Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2006 Audi A8-I need help!!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Default 2006 Audi A8-I need help!!

Hey Guys, I recently purchased an 06 A8 with 62000 miles from an auto auction for 26K, The car drives great and I am in love, now I am noticing a few problems which have got me a little worried.

So here it goes...

1st: I noted a so red leak coming from the right driver's side of the vehicle, which only happened after I drove the car, The leak was so small that I was hoping it was windsheild wiper fluid, but I went to an independent mechanic who told me it was coming from the radiator and it would cost me $950 including parts to change, Audi dealership said they would charge me $1172, What should I do? and does that leak sound right?

2nd: My navigation was working fine initially, then all of the sudden it says navigation unit not installed? I went to Audi and they said that I have to buy a whole new navigation system for $1200, when the damn thing was working just fine? Please let me know if you guys have any ideas on that or if maybe there is a place where I can just buy a one that plays DVDs or has a reverse camera or something?

3rd: My trunk motor is broken as I noticed some of you all have experienced, let me know if there are any new ideas on what could be done with that or do I just have to pay the money for a new motor?

I live in long island NY, but I am willing to travel, so please feel free to pass on any of your ideas and thank again!!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Site Moderator

I super highly doubt the radiator is leaking, unless of course there was a previous accident. Did an audi mechanic actually LOOK at it or did you just ask them to quote you a price to change it out? The reason i say that is because the motor mounts are hydraulic and there is a small amount of RED fluid in them which do leak after a while. I have a bad one right now on my A4.

I can only speculate on the navigation issue, i've only seen one malfunction and it resulted in a new unit too. You can buy a Garmin for two hundred something, but since you have the A8 i would just get that unit and the current navteq (version 10) nav disc which is much better than anything on the market.

The trunk motors usually go out during the winter when trying to lift the lid with snow on it, cold weather doesn't help either. The casing cracks, so there isn't anything you can do short of replacing that.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:15 AM
1st Gear

looking through the service history of my vehicle the radiator was replaced due to a leak.

maybe same problem?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Site Moderator

^^^Were you in a north eastern state or somewhere where it snows a lot? I never had to replace a radiator on ANY audi here in california, could be the different weather conditions though...

Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Being here in Michigan, I have never heard of any radiator problems or leaks. Could have had some rare weird problem.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Sorry for the late response, but I finally earned enough money to take it to the shop, the leak was from the radiator, it looks like it was some kind of default, from what the Audi tech told me, but I am glad its done, car is working great again, and I got my baby back, lol thanks for the help.

And as for the NAV, im going to have to get a new one I guess, but i decided im going to get the AVI for IPOD, along with a reverse camera installed. It will probably cost me 6 grand, but its worth it lol.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Site Moderator

A leak from a default huh? I wonder what that means, anyways glad to hear its fixed your baby is on the road again.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

Or... you could use CD's even though AMI isn't too much. But I don't know where your getting 6 grand lol And if you think its worth it go right ahead. Should invest some time instead of money learning how to park the good ol' real way!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Default Update

So Iwas able to find someone selling a used navigation on ebay and I brought it for $600, and I got the Ipod interface installed for $700, so now the only thing I have left is the trunk motor, I guess my 6 grand estimate may have been a bit extreme, unless I went to the dealership lol.