Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

'98 A8 Quattro-Dead Battery-Cannot open trunk to get to battery. Please help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs down '98 A8 Quattro-Dead Battery-Cannot open trunk to get to battery. Please help!!!!!!

I have a 1998 Audi A8 Quattro. The battery died on it in our Indiana cold weather. I have confirmed in the manual that the battery is in the trunk. However, I cannot get the trunk open. Obviously, the keyfob doesn't open it since it is controlled by the electrical system...which is totally dead.
I have unlocked all of four doors, manually, and then tried to open the trunk with the ignition key in all of the various positions that I can turn the key in the trunk lock mechanism.
I do not have the "valet" keys, and I am wondering if that would help. I could not find anywhere in the manual that discussed a trunk release and could not see one when I looked through the rear seat access above the middle arm rest.
I thought about attaching a reverse solar charger into the cigarett lighter, however, the cigarette lighter is not working. I checked that recently with a portable dvd system.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dealer rep. was unhelpful and I don't want to have it towed 60 miles away to the nearest Audi dealer.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
Hans

Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Site Moderator

There isn't a way to put the rear seats down? There should be a lever at the top of the rear seats that lets you pull them forward, once thats done you can climb into the trunk and release the emergency trunk release. If there isn't a way to do that, pull up on the bottom rear seat and look for a red cord that should be the trunk release.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Dead Battery

hi

pop one of your lights out from a door pannel and feed it 12volts make sure key out of ignition

give it a couple minuites then try your key fob

worked for me a while back

good luck

Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

Or you can try a jump box with a 12v receptacle, just hook the jump box up to your cigarette lighter. The jump box I have (a JNC660) has this feature and I know several others do as well.