Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A8 Headlamp replacement...DIY?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
1st Gear
Cool A8 Headlamp replacement...DIY?

I have a passenger side headlamp out, light went pink for a few days and is now out. I have ordered a Sylvania D2S XENARC bulb. Can anyone provide me instruction on how to replace/get access to replace it myself- or does it require a special tool?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

you did not give a year but here it is for

Audi > D3 > 2004-2005
Electrical Equipment
94 - High-intensity gas discharge headlamps, servicing - USA and CanadaGas-discharge lamp, replacing
CAUTION!
Always disconnect battery ground strap before working on gas-discharge headlight components marked with yellow high-voltage symbols.

Removing
With ignition switched off, disconnect battery Ground (GND) cable Battery, disconnecting and reconnecting .
Left headlight - Vehicles with 8-cyl. engine:
Remove power steering fluid reservoir .
Left headlight - Vehicles with 12-cyl. engine:
Remove air filter housing .
Right headlight - Vehicles with 8-cyl. engine:
Remove upper section of air filter housing .
Right headlight - Vehicles with 12-cyl. engine:
Remove air filter housing .
All:
Loosen locking bolt - 1 - a few turns.
Release retainer tabs - arrows - and detach gas-discharge lamp housing cover from headlight housing.
Disconnect connector - 1 - at ignition coil for gas-discharge lamp.
Turn ignition coil - 2 - for gas-discharge lamp counter-clockwise - arrow - and detach.
Disengage spring clip - 1 - .
Pull gas-discharge lamp - 2 - out of headlight housing.
Installing
Install in reverse order of removal, observing the following:
Connect battery. Required actions .

Attached Thumbnails A8 Headlamp replacement...DIY?-headlight.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
1st Gear
Default A8 2003 Headlight

Good day Gents,

Can I whit kind of bulbs I need for 2003 A8 V8 3.7 ? I found that suppose to be D2S ?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

Sorry for mistake I was trying to type Can I ask what kind of Bulbs I need ... Thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
1st Gear
Default headlight replacement

I replaced the right side HID headlight on my '07 about 3 weeks ago. I DID NOT disconnect the battery. IF you want more info about what I did, request it and I'll try to reconstruct the procedure.

Gary-

Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Default A8

Yes please Mr.Rob go ahead.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Hey has anyone have the clip holding the bulb totally come out and if so, how did you get it back in?

Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 AM
1st Gear

On my D3, I found it easier to remove the 4/6 bolts holding the lamp in and rock it forward 30mm or so. This gave 'just' enough room to do it, but a mirror on a stick tool and torch helped.

Before that I found removing the wheelarch liner and PAS reservoir the easiest way but rather messy and a PITA.

It also depends which engine you have and whether it is pre or post facelift. Each one has different stuff in the way and different amounts of room.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
Default A8 d4 bulb change

The old pull the lamp forward on the d3 won't work on the d4, audi's answer is to remove the entire front bumper...."bullshit". Basically place the the car iin jacking mode, remove the front wheel on the side you need to work on, then remove the front half of the wheel arch liner. It's only a few screws, you will then have access to the back of the headlamp unit.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gary Knox
I replaced the right side HID headlight on my '07 about 3 weeks ago. I DID NOT disconnect the battery. IF you want more info about what I did, request it and I'll try to reconstruct the procedure.

Gary-
I would like to know how you did it.
Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8 Headlamp replacement...DIY?