Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Anyone have a cold air draft under driver side of dash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Re-post: Cold air coming in from under dash

... please excuse if I don't use the proper terms. The area in question is...left of the steering wheel, below the headlights control ****, on the underside of the dash where the release lever used to unlock the engine hood is placed.

While driving at speeds of greater than about 20 mph in weather where the external temperature is below 32* fahrenhite, it takes an inordinate amount of time for the driver's side floor space to get warm even though the rest of the car is plenty warm. To investigate, while driving I have reached my left hand down and felt a distinct cold air "draft" blowing in through the opening through which the release lever used to unlock the engine hood extends. Could anyone explain what is causing this and how to fix it?

I had my 15,000 mile service YESTERDAY, told the dealer, they indicated a grommet was "missing" under the driver side floor carpeting which was causing the air leak, which they fixed. However that made little sense to me since the air is coming from and through the under side of the dashboard as I explained. This morning, it seems somewhat better, but there was still cold air blowing through.

What's the cause? I would rather have a pretty good idea and tell the dealer rather than have some guy fishing around taking things apart

Last edited by tcr20; 02-04-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Site Moderator

What? You have an air leak by the hood latch? Im sorry that makes no sense.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Hood RELEASE lever which is lower left driver side under the light controls

understand?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Site Moderator

I don't think anyone understands you.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Sorry, let me try to be a little more detailed and explicit...

please excuse if I don't use the proper terms. The area in question is...left of the steering wheel, below the headlights control ****, on the underside of the dash where the release lever used to unlock the engine hood is placed.

While driving at speeds of greater than about 20 mph in weather where the external temperature is below 32* fahrenhite, it takes an inordinate amount of time for the driver's side floor space to get warm even though the rest of the car is plenty warm. To investigate, while driving I have reached my left hand down and felt a distinct cold air "draft" blowing in through the opening through which the release lever used to unlock the engine hood extends. Could anyone explain what is causing this and how to fix it?

I had my 15,000 mile service YESTERDAY, told the dealer, they indicated a grommet was "missing" under the driver side floor carpeting which was causing the air leak, which they fixed. However that made little sense to me since the air is coming from and through the under side of the dashboard as I explained. This morning, it seems somewhat better, but there was still cold air blowing through.

What's the cause? I would rather have a pretty good idea and tell the dealer rather than have some guy fishing around taking things apart and creating other problems.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Site Moderator

Now i understand, and that is a unique problem. I have never found air entering the footwell like that, i would assume its air coming through the gromet where the hood latch cable goes through the firewall. (bulkhead) Them saying a gromet was missing under the carpet is bogus, that doesn't happen.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 PM
1st Gear
Default draft

So what do you recommend I do? Now that I'm concerned, I've been feeling everywhere for drafts. It feels like cold air is coming through at or around the gas gauge on the dash cluster as well. Is it possible that alot of gromets are missing ?

should I just take it in to the dealer and say...check all gromets in the front...?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Site Moderator

There can't be many gromets missing, i have never come across a poorly built A8. I would take it back to the dealer and have them check out the bulkhead area for leaks yes.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up air leak

A few years ago when the repair guy changed my wife's window regulator he failed to replace the door liner (plastic barrier) between the door panel and the door and air would come from the front end of the door and felt like what you described exactly. I would check to make sure this isn't your problem
Greg
2001 A8L Pearl White
1995 Lexus SC400 Pearl white
2007 F350 Bleach White