Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Audi A8 vs. VW Phaeton....thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by gerryinOlyWa
Auditech79, bulletproof? This would be fabulous news to me. I have a 98 with 162K. Great car. Just had tranny rebuilt by a reputable vendor. You posted in '07. It's now '09. Do you still have the same opinion?
Hasn't changed, ive seen D2's with more than 400,000 on the clock.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Site Moderator

If i remember right the Phaeton only comes is one wheel base 118," while the A8 offers two wheelbase sizes. I also think that the body of the VW is steel, not aluminum further increasing the weight factor. The final nail in the coffin is......NO MMI!!!! How could you spend so much loot on a car on not have the multi media interface!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:52 AM

I dont know about your market, but here in Europe,motly mid european countries most of Phaetons are already written off because they were all the time on service depos..
I cant remeber I saw any of those here recently, even in Germany...
shame, to build oversized VW Passat with great engine and stick that price tag, and still doesnt performe well .
Most of the buyers took Q7 or A8 for Phaeton

Old 12-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by dannyghost
I dont know about your market, but here in Europe,motly mid european countries most of Phaetons are already written off because they were all the time on service depos..
I cant remeber I saw any of those here recently, even in Germany...
shame, to build oversized VW Passat with great engine and stick that price tag, and still doesnt performe well .
Most of the buyers took Q7 or A8 for Phaeton
If you don't mind me asking, what auto maker do people tend to drive out there in croatia? More german, japanese, or euopean? Sure isn't american LOL!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM

youre right.
our elders were worshipers of germans (MB, BMW, Audi), less other european cars (italina-french),japanese and korean are in last 20 years up in sale..
Americans?huh, only Chrysler is here, shame...
Chevrlet is also , but they sell ex Deawoo models...so we dont have any original states cars, but younger people like them a lot. like new charger, mustang , etc .

But company cars are mostly german, top are Audi, then MB and BMW... vw PHAETON was seen on streets, but then..misteriously disapeared, hehe it looked like a oversized Passat which is not a good design and they broke down a lot...but its "people's car" bigger brother of Golf..another crapy car ..hehe

Last edited by dannyghost; 12-15-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator

Thats about what i figured, however i would imagine a few car enthusiasts have a few corvettes shipped there, maybe even a cobra or two.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 PM

1) I think the Phaeton is more similar to Bentley than an Audi - as such, it has quirks, but also a unique presence about it especially in terms of its feel
2) I know this is an Audi forum, but I am pretty sure you can get a very nice S class for that budget, which may end up being a little more reliable for you in the long run ( I think they less mechanically sophisticated than an A8 and are also more common, so less stuff to break, and easier to replace bits if need be)

Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Sure a Phaeton is pretty cool, but with the other cars on the market it doesn't compare. If the Phaeton had a nicer front end, an MMI, and a DVD based nav system instead of CD based it would be a great car, one that I would buy no doubt.
2) While you could get an s class, what comes with owning a merc, especially an S class. Is the big sticker that should be planted on your forehead saying you have money but no sense of style, or brains. As the S class is commonly bought by over ego'd men buying it for the badge when the cars an ugly slope!
of course IMO, but im sure its shared

Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM

Fair enough. But that is what makes them so easy to own - they are made for the mass market.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 AM

Funny I haven't checked back to this site in almost a year. I finally do and I see one of my threads near the top. I am still looking.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 vs. VW Phaeton....thoughts??