Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Broken arm rest...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Broken arm rest...

Well, the driver's-side arm rest snapped off today at the point where the aluminum in the art rest connects to the little doo-hickey that attaches to the center console (if this description isn't clear, ask me to upload a pic).

Anyone know of a quick fix that doesn't include replacing the entire arm-rest assembly? A good glue maybe? I don't know of anything that would hold aluminum together very well....

And, if it comes to this, anyone know average price on new armrests? I'm guessing a parted-out car would be my best bet...

Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Broken arm rest...

Welcome to tha club.

No one that I know of, save a VERY GOOD welder, has any reliable fix. If yours is pre-2000, you'll want to replace it with a 2000-or-newer arm-rest. straight swap, but make sure what you get comes with ALL the hardware. To buy the pieces from teh stealership will run close to $3K, since you hafta order all the different sub-assemblies separately. You're gonna wanna go with a replacement from a strip-yard.

Are you IN Cherrrr-munny, right now? IDK of any strip yards in the W-Burg area, but I vaguely remember a couple in Frankfurt, Mannheim, and teh Wiesbaden areas. I'm sure they have them around Wurzburg/Bamberg-ish, just don't remember where. If you find one LEMME KNOW IMMEDIATELY!!! There is a LONG list of parts I'd be willing to pay an exorbatant price for, to include shipping, if you can find them in a strip yard over there, for me. Such as:
'00-'03 armrest (black)
rear sun-shade assy
rear inner door panels w/side-window sun-shades (black)
'00-'03 1-piece headlight assy's
various other pieces/parts

Of course, if you're in PA...

Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Haha unfortunately, I'm not in Deutschelandfor now. I'm in PA, but there's a possibility that I'll be in Germany in a couple of years, so I'll keep you in mind. Of course, there would be several fees involved if I were to ship... the getting me off my *** fee, the driving my car to the strip yard fee (this one is actually something I pay you due to my love of driving), and of course, the worst would be the sticking-a-stamp fee, at about $5,679.99. This isn't accounting for inflation.

I realize it might be dafter to try, but I'm taking a shot with some super-not-yet-released adhesive. My brother works for a place that actually develops new adhesives, and I'm doubtful but we'll see. I'll post with my results.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Administrator

I predict it willl work, right up until the time you lean on it, the first time.

You happen to KNOW anybody currently in der Fatherland? All my contacts have long since rotated back to the states, and on to the dessert. Maybe we cud set up a germany-america connection, for parts... hopefully with someone who has lesser "puttin-a-stamp-on-it" fees

Old 12-08-2007, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Some relatives, only one of which would probably be of much help, and he's currently serving his civil service. I'll let you know if that changes, though.

So then I'll glue it and I'll just never rest my arm on it. I mean, I can't rest my arm on it now, so at least it wouldn't look stoopid.

....it's really one thing after another with this car... if it wasn't so much fun, i'd have it on the chopping block.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 PM
4th Gear

duct tape fixes everything

Old 12-10-2007, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

Haha yes... come enjoy the Nappa leather with real Walnut-and-duct-tape-trim interior...

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

Well, it set for 24 hours and so far (under admittedly gentle testing) has held. I'll update to let you know when it falls off some times in the next two days. hah

Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Administrator

what'd you glue it with?!?!?
(if you say "glue," so help me i'll...)

Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

A combination of epoxy and the blood of a first-born son.

Just kidding.

It actually wasn't anything my bro got from his company, just ended up being this:

http://jbweld.net/products/jbkwik.php

It's holding the armrest on, but I haven't really put weight on it or anything to test it. Still, atleast it doesn't look as dumb...

Quick Reply: Broken arm rest...