Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Changing the readout from Miles to Klms

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Changing the readout from Miles to Klms

I have a 04 A8L. I went into the setup and wanted to change the odometer from miles to klms. I made the selection and entered it but it doesn’t seem to want to show the change on the odometer, it continues to show miles. The navigation part now does things in klms but for some reason the odometer doesn’t want to switch. Is there something I’m not doing right?

Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Changing the readout from Miles to Klms

Ypu may need to find someone with a VAG-COM, and have them make the switch for you, or, pay at the STEALERship, to have it done. IDK but IDT there is an way for a user/owner to make that mod.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Would it make any difference if I upgraded the MMI?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Administrator

That I cannot say. I haven't read enough about the MMi to know, one way or another. We do have a couple guys wo ARE Audi techs, fr a living. Auditech79 visits teh A8 section infrequently, but generally provides better answers than 99% of teh rest of us. Dankhound is another. He visits less frequently, but also give good advice. if your need is immediate you could PM either of them, directly, rather than wait.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Site Moderator

You should be able to switch it using the MMI, but if its not changing there is something wrong with the software in the MMI, it may need an update.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:44 AM
1st Gear

You can definately change this using mmi under the "car" option. Its under the display / dash option I seem to remember. I changed this myself recently (km to miles) after switching it accidentally playing with the options.

If you cant change it through mmi it will be a dealer job I would think.....

Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

I did make the initial change with the MMI but it doesn’t want to make the change in the odometer. I’m thinking that I may try doing the MMI upgrade, but I’m nervous about doing it. The one thing that concerns me is how many questions do you have to answer during the update. I’d hate to mess up the MMI because of my stupidity!! Does anyone know if the update goes along and does everything on its own or do you have to guide it along and answer questions as it updates?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

I would just take it to the dealer, they can do the firmware update or possibly its someting simple in the options they will spot. I cant see it being expensive, its the sort of thing my local Audi dealer would probably do FOC....certainly if it was in for a service or other work.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: alera

I would just take it to the dealer, they can do the firmware update or possibly its someting simple in the options they will spot. I cant see it being expensive, its the sort of thing my local Audi dealer would probably do FOC....certainly if it was in for a service or other work.
IDT FOC is a functional part of the STEALERship lexicon, here in the Americas, LoL-out LOUD!