Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

General n00b q's...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Default General n00b q's...

First off, sorry for not searching. I'm a newly wed (sp?) and I've frankly run out of time to search forums all day. I just need some general advicefrom someone who knows these cars well and is willing to send me a few links or quick words of wisdom. The wife wants something spacious, relibale, and safe. We've been looking at Audi A6's and A8's, and Volvo S60 and S80's. Is there a huge interior dimension difference between the A6 and A8? What is the most reliable engine? We only need a 2wd version and don't need or even want a lot of power, but would like something mildly fuel efficient. She is currently driving a 1997 Honda Civic and wants something with more room inside.

CN's: Wife wants a bigger, reliable, sporty car that gets decent gas mileage. Please give me the common knowledge about the A6's and A8s in the 2000-2004 MY range.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: General n00b q's...

Well, Jimmy, there is a noticible difference in the interior space of an A6 & A8. Here in America IDT you can find an A8 with any other than teh 4.2 V8. The A6 comes with a couple more engine options: V8, V6 and Turbo V6. Since you wrote "decent gas mileage" that pretty much eliminates teh V8. Not that it's not a nice engine, but, the mileage socks elephant bolls. Compare to a civic, however, the interiuor space on teh A6 will be palatial, however. I don't have an experience with Audi's V6 vs. Turbo V6, so I can't speak directly to that. I have owned turbo cars before. Unless your with is a direct decendent of teh Andretti's, I'm thinking she'll be fine with the non-turbo V6. You won't win any races, but, honestly, do you REALLY want your wife racing? (I'm assuming there'll be little-ones on teh car with her)

An A6 will have comparable interior space to either of teh Vlvo's. Maybe a little more. The finish & build quality wil;l be two giant-steps ahead of teh Volvo, IMO.

I'd say go with a Bi-Turbo A6 (OK, I know that goes against what I said earlier, so sue me), make sure you get the Tip-Tronic transmission (it's your wifes car, right... girls don't generally WANT to drive a stick) and teach her how to use it! Put some decent wheels on there (tell her that they are lighter than the stock wheels, whether they are or not; and that it will increase teh gas mileage) so it looks good for those times when YOU get stuck drivin Momma's car to work.

Your welcome

Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Just the answers I was looking for. Thank you. Now, of the available engines on teh A6, which is the most reliable? I know I said I want decent fuel mileage, but I wouldn't mind having another turbocharged car (I drive an '02 Subaru WRX) if it's the most reliable. I have also heard rumors about Audis having strange problems, like for instance a friend of mine said whenever he would pop the trunk, the headlights would turn off. Are there any years that are built more solid than others? We're trying to stay in the price range of $11-13k (which looks like we'd go with a 2001-2003 with 40-80k miles). Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Administrator

I do not personally know of any anecdotal evidence, for or against either of the engines for the A/S6 (I believe the twin-turbo engine only comes with the S6, but I could be wrong.). I've got the 4.2L V8 in my A8 (which is pretty much how I know that gas-milage SOX-BOLLOCKS!). From what I've see, these last 2+ years on these boards, however, both engines are very reliable, if properly cared for. I know that seems like a no-brainer. Common thnoigs to AUdi enngines:
Timing-belt service - every 60k-90k miles, or start saving up for a rebuild or replacement.
upper & lower control arms - I do not remember teh interval where they start becoming something to check/worry about, but it's easily searched.
turbos - if you already drive a turbo motor (and a high-strung one, at that) you KNOW that coking teh bearing leads to certain failure. I do not know if the T-T motors come with timers, or not (since, as I said, my tq is built into teh abundance of thirsty-cylinders in my motor), other may, and are welcome to add their $0.02
random electrical problems - they happen. No rhyme of reason, that I know of. May be a M-B plot/sabotage...

If you're giong to do your due dilinence, you ARE going to have to do some searching before you buy, on these and other forums. To do less would be short-changing your new-'ol Lady, and that is NO WAY to start a marriage

Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Site Moderator

The S6 only comes with a beefy V8 AWD, the 2.7T A6 is twin turbo and then there is a twin turbo V8 in the RS6.
But if your looking for reliability the 2.7T and 4.2 twin turbo engine are NOT for you, go with an A8 with a regular 4.2L, or an A6 with a 2.8L (most reliable, but slow) or an A6 with a 4.2L V8.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:15 PM

I typed in the search box "electrical" and it came up with a slew of electrical problems that people have talked about on this board. I know I asked once in this thread, but I'd still like to get a few more people to reply with any reported "common" or even rare electrical problems with the A6. It seems that the A4 had the most electrical problems, but I've talked to quite a few people who have had nightmare problems with their Audi's. I would like to get an A6 over a Volvo S60 for quite a few reasons, but it just seems that quite a few of these cars have had their share of odd problems.