Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Looking to buy...2006 or 2007??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Question Looking to buy...2006 or 2007??

Hello,

I am looking into buying a used 2006 or 2007 A8.
I know there are certain differences between the cars and believe I know about them (like the horsepower thing, DID screen, etc.)

What I'm asking is, would you rather get an 2006 one with lower miles (45,000k) or 2007 (with like 60-65k) for around the same price (Audi certified, off course)?? Are the differences so great that I should rather get a 2007 with higher miles on it or just stick to the lower miles 2006?

Also, does the car come with remote window opener (meaning the key..), iPod pluggin, possibly remote starter?
Does the dealer automatically update MMI/Navigation to the latest possible versions?

Thank you in advance.

TM

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Site Moderator

Well the 2007 is FSI technology (direct injection) which is kinda like a diesel where it directs the fuel into the combustion chamber rather than on top of the intake valve. The result is better fuel economy and increased power. However there are more (expensive) moving parts in the fuel system that could break in the future. Other than that they are pretty much identical cars.

The remote window opener is in all audi's, however the dealer won't program the comfort control module to do this because its illegal, it rids the system of pinch protection so if someone's head where in the window it could really do some damage. You can program that yourself using a vag com www.ross-tech.com.
ipod may or may not be in either car, no remote starters, but push button start is available, im sure there are aftermarket remote starters. The dealer will only update the MMI version if there is a problem with the system.
They definately won't update the Navigation because that requires buying a new NavTeq CD which costs around $200 and replaces the old CD.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Thank you for your speedy reply!

Excuse my ignorance here - the comfort control module?
Does that mean the windows will open with the key, but not close?

If that is the case that is quite ok, that's the same on my current car and was what I was looking for.

Does the 20 extra hp make THAT much of a difference?

FYI. in the process of moving, won't have a chance to test-drive until I get to my final destination, already scheduled test-drives for next week. That's why so many questions about minor details like that - no chance for 1st person experience quite yet....

I guess I can invest additional $200 for new navi, hope no compatibility issues.

Thank you.

TM

Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Site Moderator

The comfort control module is basically the control unit for all the windows, the alarm, locks, etc.
You can program the module to do whatever the hell you want it to, open the windows, close them, open the sunroof, you just have to know what the code is which should be at the ross-tech web site.
The 20 horsepower doesn't make much of a difference no, the 335 hosepower model still hauls ***.