Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

lpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Default RE: lpg

Hello to you all,

Last week I bought an A8 in Napels, Italy, drove it back to The Netherlands where I will do a LPG conversion soon. As the petrol prices in The Netherlands are rising (6,9 usd/gallon) LPG (75% cheaper) became a considerable alternative. Several LPG systems have been devoleped last years. For these who are sceptic about loss of power: check this!
http://www.audi-vmax.de/

Emiel

Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Senior Administrator

Welcome to you ALL, smartyhk, rconnelly, Matt_13, Phil729, and emiel1001. Glad to have you. smartyhk, it seems I've read those words somewhere before. Which other boards do you frequent? I KNOW I've seen it, just can't remember where.

All you LPG-aholics be sure and keep us informed about upsides/downsides of running LPG. Most of "us" are Americans, but there's plenty of room for our global partners.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:54 AM
3rd Gear

Octane and power are somewhat unrelated. Octane is really a measurement of how fast something burns. So while propane carrys a higher octane rating it doesnt neccessary have the same bang. It burns faster hence the higher octane rating but it contains less energy per identical volume than gasoline. The same goes for ethanol. It has a higher octane rating, meaning it burns faster,, and cleaner,, but it contains less energy than gasoline. Thats why e85 produceds lower mpg than gasoline.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Old 03-16-2007, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Been running this A8 on LPG for over 2 years, with only a minor problem of a flattened 'bump-stop' o-ring on a solenoid 'injector'.

It has an OMVL direct injection system with its own programmable ECU controlling the various parts of the system, including the solenoid injectors, and fooling the car into thinking that it's still running on gasoline.

If you're worried that the LPG may cause damage to your engine then don't be - this car has covered 120,000 miles on LPG. I only change the oil every 15,000 miles and it's still golden when it comes out. LPG is much cleaner than gasoline and can extend engine life provided it's set up correctly.

Being totally honest, I can tell the difference in power from standstill and, if I want to drag off the lights or get out from an intersection in a hurry, I will switch to gasoline (press of a button). But the car will still pull 150mph on significant uphill grades and no standard A8 has ever been able to overhaul me once it's rolling. Oh and the independant ECU seems to override the 155mph electronic limitation on the car becauseI've driven it faster than that!

Bought the car already converted (by it's American owner) with two tanks in the trunk, giving well over 400 miles range (plus the gasoline range if I care to use that costly stuff).

1997 A8_D2 UK basic spec (no gadgets).
Running on Gasoline OR LPG (Propane) at a 'price equivalent' of 40mpg(UK).
218000 miles.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM

Mods: Any chance of making this a sticky?

Hi All,

I know this is an Audi owner forum, however, what I have learnt in my journey of converting my V8 to LPG is applicable to all interested.

Please read my story of a bad conversion by Go LPG to great conversion.. AND I got ALL my money back. :twisted:

http://www.lpginfo.co.uk

Discussion Forum:

http://www.lpginfo.co.uk/forum

Thanks for looking.