Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Need help with purchase decision on A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Default Need help with purchase decision on A8

I have a great A8 and need to make a buy decision by July,I put 25k miles on a year and want to know if anyone has expierence putting 200k miles on a A8.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need help with purchase decision on A8

I have 35k miles and own mine. I was considering an extended warranty but they're expensive and non audi warranty services have a bad track record. I am unable to get any information from my local audi dealership on a audi sponsored extended warranty.

When I discussed with my local independent mechanic, he said that the A8 typically needs a new timing belt at 80 to 90k miles. If you don't replace it in time, it can do some serious damage. That seemed to be the only major item on the car for that mileage.

My experience so far is things that were covered by the factory warranty would have been expensive if I had to pay for them. I guess I will just set aside a slush fund for future repairs once my warranty expires.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 PM

80 to 90 miles that even sounds to high I wouldn't go over 70 in my own opinion better to be safe than sorry

Old 03-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Administrator

From what I've seen on the other boards 60k seems like a safer bet, as far as the timing belt goes, anyway. I've got a '99 and she's just past the 53k mark, so I'm saving up my lunch money, now!

Old 03-08-2005, 07:25 PM

haha smart man this will not be cheap either

Old 03-09-2005, 02:17 AM

I recently bought a A8L with 76,000 miles on it. It was serviced at an Audi dealership and the service people knew the owner of the car. I decided to have the 80,000 and 105,000 maintenance done so that I could have 2-3 years of trouble free driving(I hope). I hope to get another 50K to 75K with no major problems. Keep the car maintained and it should last quiet a while.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 AM

check out Audipages for lots of great information on the D2 A8. I doubt anyone has 200k on a D3 A8 yet - I assume you're talking about the older style. It is a great car - there will likely be some maintenance on the automatic transmission, but if you change the fluid that may be enough depending on your driving style. Otherwise, there are some other known issues with it, but none require rebuilding or replacing the transmission. The 4.2 is a very reliable motor, just plan on changing the timing belt every 60-80k (age affects the belt as well as miles).

I think it would be a fine car to put those miles on. It will nickel and dime you on misc repairs though, like any German car.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Senior Administrator

Nickle & dime, troo. Not as bad as a Bee-Emm-Trouble-U, though.

Know what B-_M-W stands for? (B)reak (M)y (W)allet

ROTFLMAO

(former BMW owner)

can't wait till I start tallying up the expenses from keeping my 8 rollin'

Old 03-12-2005, 06:00 PM

IHave a '97 quattro 88K miles. Maintenance for 2 years totals $2000 and includes lower control arms at 85k, replacement of the blower, new battery, front brake pads at 87K & oil changes. Timing belt up upcoming. Lots of audis here in vermont & some bargan mechanics...should cost $700. This is far nicer, great to drive and ride in and more reliable than any Audi I've had. If you're going to spend a lot of thime in a car, if you're going to do lots of highway cruzing, this is your car....anything less will be a disapointment in comparison. It routinely gets 25 mpg or better on trips, is very quite, lots of space and great sound system. My only complaint is pricy insurance.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:33 PM

IHave a '97 quattro 88K miles. Maintenance for 2 years totals $2000 and includes lower control arms at 85k, replacement of the blower, new battery, front brake pads at 87K & oil changes. Timing belt up upcoming. Lots of audis here in vermont & some bargan mechanics...should cost $700. This is far nicer, great to drive and ride in and more reliable than any Audi I've had. If you're going to spend a lot of thime in a car, if you're going to do lots of highway cruzing, this is your car....anything less will be a disapointment in comparison. It routinely gets 25 mpg or better on trips, is very quite, lots of space and great sound system. My only complaint is pricy insurance.

Quick Reply: Need help with purchase decision on A8