Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Noise from dash

Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 AM
1st Gear
Question Noise from dash

I have a noise that is clicking in the front dash, I have tried just holding down some areas but the noise sounds like its coming from the inside of the dash. The noise is only when there are bumps in the road so its not constant. Has this happened to anyone? I just want some feed back before going to the dealer because its still under warranty.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Administrator

Might help to know which side, left/middle/right, top or bottom...

Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

It sounds like its coming from the middle.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Administrator

OK. So, does the clicking occur at regular intervals? ONLY when driving? ONLY when stopped? Turning? Fast clicking? Slow?

You've given us teh equivalent of: "Mt tummy hurts!" We can't tell you possible reasons WHY, unless you tell us MORE!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
OK. So, does the clicking occur at regular intervals? ONLY when driving? ONLY when stopped? Turning? Fast clicking? Slow?

You've given us teh equivalent of: "Mt tummy hurts!" We can't tell you possible reasons WHY, unless you tell us MORE!!!
Happens only when driving, when there is body role. As for speed its changes depending on the road tarrain. It just sounds like something has come loose. Also I have the Bose speakers and it does not change when I turn off the radio.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Administrator

I'd say you wer on target with something being loose, given what you'v said, so far. There are 3 basic things in the middle section: Sounds, HVAC, and ducting for HVAC. You'v eliminated the sound system as an electronic source, but that doesn't mean something hasn't come loose and is rattling around.

Can you eliminate the HVAC as a source, too. Run it on high heat/high fan and drive around for awhile, then high cool/high fan and do the same, and see if that affects the frequency or level of noise.

If you eliminate that, then I'd say you almost for sure have a loose something or another. Short of taking it apart yourself you may hafta pay through the nose to have the Stealership or a decent mechanic track down what came undone. We've got a couple VERY GOOD techs that frequent the boards, auditech79 even visits the A8 section from time to time. Maybe he'll offer some suggestions as to where to start your search for the ratttle. Best I can do is offer some common-sense diagnostics, since I've never had to deal with this problem myself, before.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 PM

sounds like upper control arm bushings are bad. on the a8 models when those go bad you hear a clicking type noise when there is body roll and its due to that the bushings dont rebound back they are slapping against the housing of the strut assembly happens all the time it makes it sound like its coming from the middle area of the car. if your car is under warrenty go take it in and they will replace them for you

Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 PM

an easy way to test these bushing is lift the car and look at the upper links where the bushings are. stick a prybar in there and push it to one side if it rebounds back the bushing is still good but if it stays there or when you are moving it and can see metal there are bad.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ketteman32
an easy way to test these bushing is lift the car and look at the upper links where the bushings are. stick a prybar in there and push it to one side if it rebounds back the bushing is still good but if it stays there or when you are moving it and can see metal there are bad.
Thanks, I'll try that this weekend and find out if that is it. Good thing its under warrenty.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Site Moderator

I second the upper control arm bushings, they only last a maximum of 50k on the D3 and when they go out the entire strut will flop around like a fish when turning the wheel. It also makes a noise like its coming from the dash, but its really the suspension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise from dash