Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Quiet Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Quiet Please!

<SPAN class=postbody>At the moment, I have 245-45 x 18 Dunlops on my 4.2 quattro sport A8.
When driving, all you can hear is the tyres rumbling.
Does anyone know of a quieter tyre that is not going to wear out the minute I put them on. Price is not an issue.</SPAN></P>

<SPAN class=postbody>ps, I am in UK.</SPAN></P>

Old 02-06-2003, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Quiet Please!

<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Today, I managed to</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-GB> persuade</SPAN><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"> the manager of a </SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-GB>tyre</SPAN><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"> depot to test drive different makes of </SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-GB>tyre</SPAN><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"> on my car. (Don’t ask where, as he made me promise not to say)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I only tested for noise, as that is what I asked for.<o></o></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>I tested Michelin</FONT></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> Pilot sport; <SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">Continental</SPAN> SportContact 2; <SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">Pirelli</SPAN> P 6000 &amp; <SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">Dunlop</SPAN> sp sport 9000. All were 245/45 x 18<o></o></SPAN></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o></o></SPAN></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I forgot to mention in my original post that my car had Dunlop sp sport 8000’s on.<o></o></SPAN></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o></o></SPAN></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">On the same 2mile route, I found the Michelins to be the noisiest, and then came both the Continental’s &amp; Pirelli’s; there was no perceivable difference between the two. (All three was quieter that the sp sport 8000’s)<o></o></SPAN></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Then came the Dunlop sp sport 9000’s, with having Dunlop’s on, I was already trying to decide between the Continental’s &amp; Pirelli’s, but surprise surprise, they were the quietest of the lot. I don’t know if it is the tread pattern (a lot different from the others) different compound, or whatever, but I splashed out for five of them.<o></o></SPAN></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN>I will let you know how they perform over the coming months.</SPAN><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o></o></SPAN></P>

Old 02-06-2003, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Quiet Please!

Nice our first comparison article. Good research!