AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Suspension Issues (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/suspension-issues-165106/)

grease 02-22-2011 10:53 PM

Suspension Issues

Just yesterday I noticed that the yellow and green suspension lights came on and the front suspension is sitting at the lowest level whereas the rear looks at normal height. Also the level controls grey out, ride systems are shut down? :confused:

I did the VAG-COM scan and here is what I found: the 17983 has been there before. But the rest are new. I just need a pointer to were to start to fix the issue. Compressor/Control Valve sounds like it might be out, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2004 A8 L

17983 - Right Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N145): Short to Plus
P1575 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 34: Level Control Labels: 4E0-910-553.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 553 E HW: 4E0 907 553 E
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC H05 4290
Coding: 0015510
Shop #: WSC 02353 785 00200
VCID: 254B1C9D9567

4 Faults Found:
01316 - ABS Control Module
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 5
Reset counter: 149
Mileage: 166577 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.01.04
Time: 08:13:08

01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 160
Mileage: 169591 km
Date: 2011.02.21
Time: 07:39:26

01400 - Suspension Level Control
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 7
Reset counter: 122
Mileage: 169646 km
Date: 2011.02.21
Time: 11:08:05

01583 - Leak in System Detected
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 122
Mileage: 169751 km
Date: 2011.02.22
Time: 18:50:38

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ludikraut 02-23-2011 02:39 PM

The flashing lights are the visual indicator for the 01400/002 fault. Sounds like you may have a leak. Some more info here: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_292.pdf

Additional SSP docs here: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index_eng.php/

My compressor stopped working when we had subzero temps here in Chicago in January, but now that it's warmer, it's working again. Go figure.

l8r)

grease 02-23-2011 09:53 PM

I did notice today that the amber car and green car were flashing. The PDF is very helpful. After a bit both stop flashing. Also noticed that only the front suspension is down with both front wheels in the close to the arch, whereas the rear is an normal height.

I thinking it could be failed solenoid or relay or air compressor?

ludikraut 02-24-2011 11:32 AM

I doubt it's the air compressor if only the front suspension is down. When my compressor started acting up, all four wheels dropped at about the same rate. My money is on a leak. If not that, then maybe look at either the Control Valve Unit (likely), or Relay (unlikely).

l8r)

grease 02-27-2011 10:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Update from the weekend. I dismantled the front of the car driver side.

I took some pictures of how the car was sitting before.

I had a job get the jacks under the car. I rolled the car onto the first brick still not high enough and then forward onto double bricks.

I removed the driver side compartment, checked the relay and fuse 40 amp. I opened the relay too to see if the contacts where good, no issues there.

Attached wiring to the air pump to check operation, the pump did not switch, I would have at least expected it to turn on?

I fear a failed pump?

auditech79 02-28-2011 08:06 PM

So you hotwired the pump and it didn't turn on? Seems to me like you have found the problem. Did you lift up the front of the suspension to visually inspect the front air bags for any leaks/tears though?

grease 03-10-2011 02:01 AM

New pump arrived today, a little late, managed to test by hot wiring to the battery and it works, guess the pump was faulty after all.

Will install tomorrow. And clear the fault codes.

auditech79 03-10-2011 07:03 PM

Good deal, i'll keep that in my diagnostic notes.

rodrigra 05-21-2011 02:29 PM

Hey, question how much was that pump am having the same issue with my Audi a8l 2004

silverd2 05-21-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by rodrigra (Post 1313219)
Hey, question how much was that pump am having the same issue with my Audi a8l 2004

Part # 4E0616007B
Wow, $1239 at genuineaudiparts.com:
http://genuineaudiparts.com/partloca...?siteid=214407

Even higher from ECS or World Implex.

Here's a bargain on ebay, if you're not scared of international purchase...I've never had a problem buying and selling international:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/compr...item255e0910da

rodrigra 05-21-2011 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info. that price is an arm and a leg. i have to check with my local dealer and see if they have it in stock. Question where you able to put it in yourself, and did you take pics of the work?

grease 05-22-2011 02:30 PM

The dealer price is somewhere around $1800 plus tax? I got it from genuine audi parts. for the price mentioned. Did you hot wire the pump to check that it has actually failed?

Once you have the front wheel off and the inner wheel liner out (on the wheel liner the plastic pop rivets might break if they are old).

It's only three bolts holding the pump in place on rubber spring mounts for reduced vibration I guess.

Only one bolt is hard to get to to but it is possible. A couple of hours if you don't know the layout. Remember the wiring paths one loops over the top of the pump to the front. There are electrical connectors on the back of the pump.

Audi will also sell you a new relay with the pump extra $30 which is under the driver side if you have North American car.

rodrigra 05-23-2011 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Actually, going this morning to the mechanic to check out the issue, Should be an interesting morning. Am really hoping that the pump is good and that they can check the connection.

Derek@Exklusiv 03-21-2012 10:49 PM

I know Im bumping an old thread but Im stuck on a problem car.

I bought a 2005 A8L from a dealer that took it on trade last week. The front is layed out and the rear seemed like normal ride height - I assumed it was the struts because Ive had VW Phaetons come in with the same symptoms that were fixed with replacing the struts.

I replaced the struts and its still suck on the ground. rear is fine.
Checked compressor and it opps okay. pulled it and checked output pressure.. seemed okay.. but I ordered a compressor anyway from Audi. Installed new compressor and it's still the same. What's left? why is it only the fronts.. I thought it could be a leak but both sides? Im lost

grease 03-24-2012 10:43 AM

I suppose the control unit which is housed in the driver side wheel arch? The height sensors both look good ?

Derek@Exklusiv 03-25-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by grease (Post 1373117)
I suppose the control unit which is housed in the driver side wheel arch? The height sensors both look good ?

Actually dug pretty deep and found the green line (passenger front) had a 6 inch section missing in driver wheel well near control valve... All fixed now

schiu 04-20-2012 08:51 AM

Sorry to ask do you mean the air line is missing

grease 04-21-2012 10:03 AM

Nope I did not change the air line, it would be very strange if a whole section of air line is "missing", probably someone on that car took it off and never put it back?

The line can have a crack in it, but it would be rare. It's extremely hard plastic.

groggyfroggy 08-29-2012 10:13 AM

Similar problem as Grease - but rear

Bump of this thread from Sweden,

my Audi A8L from 2007 is experiencing air suspension problems - the rear. From is still up in what I would call Dynamic Mode. Front seems to be "stable" - or at least lowering very slowly (nothing just by eyeballing for the last 4 days).

So, error codes are DTC 01538, 01400, 01772, 01772, 01770, where "only" the first one is Permanent, the rest intermittent.

I do not dare to translate the fault codes from Swedish to English.

User Grease, do you suspect my compressor too? There are "cheap" deals on German Ebay, so with relay and new compressor I consider myself to be taking a good route to success (?) - if that fails I'll go buy new rear suspensions (?!).

The error code suggests leakage, but that is also what you had, Grease!

As said, one can take a lot of chances and still get a _complete_ new air suspension system (comp+4*dampers) for less than the price of one compressor from Audi / OEM.

Should I assume I have the very same problem as You, Grease, and take a chance?

cheers, from a sunny Sweden
Carl

groggyfroggy 09-06-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by groggyfroggy (Post 1401370)
Bump of this thread from Sweden,

So, error codes are DTC 01538, 01400, 01772, 01772, 01770, where "only" the first one is Permanent, the rest intermittent.

As said, one can take a lot of chances and still get a _complete_ new air suspension system (comp+4*dampers) for less than the price of one compressor from Audi / OEM.

Should I assume I have the very same problem as You, Grease, and take a chance?

cheers, from a sunny Sweden
Carl

Indeed it payed off - it was the compressor, and all seems to work fine now. Parts from e-bay Germany, some 440 EUR, the mechanic took 50 EUR.

Audi quote was almost 1700 EUR. Guess I'll be drinking champagne this weekend....

Thank you Forum, ebay, google & Internet!

/one happy groggy Froggy

Alberto Mayer 11-18-2015 10:34 PM

Audi A8 Suspension 2007

My Audi A8 front struts are getting replaced so my susupension system is locked on Yellow. I changed the tires but the Jack mode would not work. We jacked it up anyway and after we dropped the vehicle it turned yellow and blinking green now. Can I reset it back to normal? I read something that said system initializing would this take care of it.

Alberto Mayer

Sencere Williams 01-18-2018 10:21 PM

I need help

I recently am having serious problems with my 2006 Audi A8L. I had a air shock leak on passenger side. I replaced the unit. Now the cars mmi doesn't show any data for adaptive suspensions. It's as if the cat has deleted the adaptive air system. Hooked up to my snap on scan to and can not use any parameters on vehicle. How do I reset the system. I've tried to reset mmi by pressing middle know button and button on upper right of mmi. Does nothing. Howndoni reprogram the computer. Does anyone know where or how to do.

JimmiGathu 06-01-2018 11:55 AM

Conversion a solution?

Hey! Is conversion from Air to Spring a better solution? Pros and Cons?

FloridA8L 09-01-2018 07:47 AM

Solution: Florida-made Arnott air struts are about like $800 each. Arnott struts are warranties FOR LIFE and have the electric plug to keep your S-mode firm suspension option fun - why many love their A8s more than heroin. buy struts directly from ARNOTT and they will register your lifetime warranty automatically (and you know they are made right) - they will build them for you if not on the shelf (A8 was in stock for me), they usually offer a rebate to send back your old ones -- recycle and share the love!! replace front 2 struts if they are sinking -- because they WILL leave you stranded soon-- mine did when I returned home to the airport parking lot after a nice trip, like a dog who chewed the door and ate up my shoes up while at work. repair air pump $1200 (or rebuild it $50-80), replace top 2 suspension arms while you have the units out ($20 economy grade arms last as long as $100 factory ones for my A8L - 20K) - retorq new arms at SAME ANGLE as the ones being removed -- do one at a time, replace the 40amp relay ( in the dash, get $22 dealership 40a relay with silver spade prongs - or use the common $5 HELLA 200w 40a fog light 4-prong relay from walmart or autozone until you can get a new german-silver relay from a dealer). DO NOT RE-USE YOUR OLD Relay, it's been COOKING because of all the extra hours your old pump/leaky system was running. Solves virtually all problems - works like new factory.

FloridA8L 09-01-2018 08:05 AM

CON OF SPRINGS --
constant warning on the dash that prevents you from seeing radio station and other nice messages. That message is enough to drive a person insane.
spring is ONE height and Ive heard complaints that it always drags and even sags after a few years.
You lose the ultra-drop - when over 80 for 30 seconds in DYNAMIC mode -- the car drops another inch to really hug the road. It's like fine wine. putting coils in there is going back to the mad dog.
you lose the LIFT mode
you lose the electronic FIRM mode - set over 80mph or it's on instantly when you shift down into S mode from the drive mode. The air strut has electronic valving that turns your A8L into more than a porsche on mountain roads when in S mode.

Personally, I think you downgrade your car about $15,000 in value, austrian-alpine autobahn engineering, tuning, and super-lux-car ability.

If you live on the east coast -- after you fix your air suspension make a journey to run Route 10 in West Virginia (or Rt 52 or Rt 99, or Rt 50). Click down into S mode and give the Devil's Den a run. Only then you will find what I'm talking about. Devil's Den Motorcycle Routes - Ride Hatfield McCoy
post us a picture of your smile at the end of a run.