Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

TIMING BELT.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default TIMING BELT.

CAN ANY ONE GUIDE ME ON TIMING BELT FOR 2004 A8L ,
CAN THE TIMING BELT WITH THE OTHER NEED THINGS GET DONE AT HOME, ??? DO I NEED SPECIAL TOOLS???IS THERE ANYTHING I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL OF ???

Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: TIMING BELT.

Maybe...

Yes...
and
Yes...

You might wanna PM one of teh tech-guys (goto: member list and click the drop-down menu on the left and select "Tech-Cert."). rayveedyb just didmine for me, not too long ago. auditech79 and dankhound are actual, current techs, working in stealerships, if I'm not mistaken. techbod has been wrenchin on Audi & others since methusla was in short-pants.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Site Moderator

You need that cam lock bar that locks the cams together (so they don't move with the belt off) the other thing you need is the crank holder (i never use this because the crank never moves)
Other than that just a healthy set of metric tools and a Bentley manual to guide you through the work. Haynes manuals are good too but not as much.
I believe you can buy the cam bar and entire T belt repair kit at www.ecstuning.com, if they don't have the cam bar you can order it from the dealer.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Administrator

keep it up, Nate, and I'm'll think you're e-stalking me[&:]

Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

thanks AWDaholic and auditec79..

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

Check out http://blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21118%2DH

I ordered the belt kit and rented their tool kit for the install. Doesn't get any better than this. Plan on getting a 1/4" torque wrench, a 3/8" torque wrench, and a HUGH breaker bar to get the crank pulley bolt out. Oh yeah, don't forget a Bentley Manual. It's not a bad job, it just takes a little time and you have to remove the front end of the car to get to everything. It makes it much easier.

Unless you have a lot of miles on your car, I would wait. I have 91,000 miles on mine, Audi recommends a replacement at 105,000. The belt looked new when I removed it, but purred when I started the motor up.

Hope this helps and saves some bucks....

Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

thanks ....but is it nessacary to replace all the seals, i just ordered the belt, water pump(which i would not replace but since ..) new thermostat and a alternater belt.
looking at the bentley manual ,,,it looks farily straight forward.....

i do need to get a camshaft tool...which i know i will need but $100.00 dollars for a piece of bent metal which if i had the mesaurments could do it my self.....any way if you know where to get a cheap one i would appreciate the info...

thanks you guys are great.....

Old 11-29-2007, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

You can rent the tool kit from Blauparts for around $40 and includes everything you will need. Trust me, it can't be done without them. Yes, I would replace the seals. Once you see the amount of work to "dig" into the motor, you wouldn't want to have to tear it back down over a $10 seal's. It's piece of mind knowing you won't have to go back into it for another 105,000 miles. Just my 2 cents.