Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Tire Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Tire Recommendation?

I'm about to replace my first set of P-Zero's (19' low profile) @ 30k. on my A8L. I'm leaning towards the Perilli's again because they'll match the spare and I've been ok with them. Is that the way to go? I'm looking for a sure footed tire that grips well, dry orwet, and also runs well hot or at high speeds. I'm not so much concerned about mileage as I run Blizaks in the Denver winter -which is about 5 months a year.

Auditech79, if your listening... you've helped me in the past, thanks a million!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Tire Recommendation?

Everybody here knows I'm a big fan of Falkens. I ran their ZE502's (UHPAS) when I was in Europe, on my Opel Calibra Turbo (about the size of an Eclipse, only better looking). Sustaind speeds of 150-175mph dry (for an hour or more, on more than a few occasions), never puta foot wrong. 100-115mph in rain and light snow... same thing. Never a misstep. Of course, I grew up driving in incliment weather, in teh midwest, so I knew/know that AWD and a good set of Gummi will only go so far. Common sense and quick reflexes play a role, too. I've got teh Zeix512 (also UHPAS) on my D2, now, and, even with that behemoth, I can take the 270deg onramps at 50+mph,. in teh rain. 70+ in teh dry. No slips, no sliding, no complaints or squealing to alert the cops to my misdeeds.

I've been committed to Falkens for about a decade, now, so I no longer remember how other Gummi feel.

They've got a newer compound/design out, now, and when it's time to swap in some new rubber, I'll be going with... Ummm... Vredestein, actually. I wanna try them out. They've got some interesting new tread technology I'm curious about. Well, IF I can find them, that is. You can get Falkens at Sears, nowadays, in most any size.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Any feedback on Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge is most appreciated. Price wise .. 4 for ~ 850 so it is around the same price as falkens (for US market)

Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Administrator

No clue. Update-wise, I think Sears has stopped carrying Falkens.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: bulletproof

Any feedback on Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge is most appreciated. Price wise .. 4 for ~ 850 so it is around the same price as falkens (for US market)
I know people that have those on thier R32's and have had vibration problems, pulling problems, and tire wear issues at low mileage, so IMHO would stay away from those goodyears.
I like the Pirelli Pzero Nero's, treadwear at 400 (allseason only) and has amazing traction both dry and wet.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Checkout this ratingcomparisonhttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

Old 11-03-2007, 08:45 PM

I am about to change over to winter tires for my 2004 A8L. The local tire dealer recommends 17 in.wheels, I have 19's now. Is there an all season 19 in. tire that will be adequate for the snow on mountain passes? Are 17 in. wheels better than 18?
Thanks very much,
John

Old 11-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Senior Administrator

Hey John, I'm prolly wrong but I don't know of any 18" or 19" all-season tires. I'm sure somebody carries them, somewhere, but I've never heard of it, personally. With 17's" at least there is a broad market of available options. Of course, you'd need new wheels, which would be a pain for storage and swapping and stuff, and if you've got a BIG-BRAKE-KIT you RILLY have a headache with swappin parts. Time to go e-shopping, I guess. Try the usual suspects, tirerack.com, tiresplus.com, and the like. Maybe edgeracing.com or some along that vein, too. Ya never know.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Site Moderator

You can get 18" Pirelli all season tires, i have them on my S4 and loving every second of them. [8D]

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation?