Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Used 97 A8

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Default Used 97 A8

Hey all,

I am a newbie looking for some advice, I have the chance to get a 97 A8 from a private dealer who bought from the bank, extremely low price of 6500 but says everything is fine, my friend is testing it for me this weekend. 104K on it. Is this too good to be true? I am really interested in it. Of course I want to take it to my mechanic to be examined. Ive heard of problems with the computers, trans, and plain old high repair costs on these audis, any tips? Thanks
Adam

Old 02-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Used 97 A8

97 was the first year for the a8 to be introduced into North Americia not sure about Europe the price does sound good but almost to good the A8 is audi's flagship vehicle so everything is going to be expensive so if you do decide to go ahead with it make sure you have a couple of grand in the bank at all times for when something does go wrong and me personally I would take it right to a Audi dealer to get checked out before you buy it since there is most likley going to be a few things your mechanic might not see

Old 02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Senior Administrator

GO FOR IT!!! If it proves to be mechanically sound, that is. I almost spent $10K on a '98 A8 4.2 Q with 150+ on the clock that had been well taken care of, even if driven much too much. Shifted like new. Suspension still taught (not just tight, TAUGHT, I say). Engine pulled like a freight train up through 120mph! Had some minor, barely noticible paint dings (it was 7 years old, after all), but looked BRAND NEW from a close as arm-distance away. Ended up getting a '99 model because the bank wouldn't finance a '98 for me (fargin bastiges). $20K around 56K on the dial (worked out to about 8500 miles a year). Leather. CD changer. Sunroof.

Audi's don't seem to hold their percieved value all that well, here in America, anyway. But, their actual value as a solid means of transportation at the luxury level remains intact. Repair costs at the dealer are ASTRONOMICAL, but a good mechanic shouldn't feel obligated to overcharge, sinply because it's an Audi. There are dozens of places where you can find repair/replacement parts for reasonable prices, on the web. No time right now, but I'll chase a few of them down and post the links, if you need. As with ANY other mechanical object, if you take care of the regular maintanence, it will take care of you.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

I JUST BOUGHT MY 98 A8 QUATTRO FOR 12000 AND IT HAS 109,000 ON IT RUNS EXCELLENT AND I TOOK IT TO AN AUDI DEALERSHIP IN OAKLAND, CA TO HAVE IT LOOKED OVER AND THE MECHANICS WERE IMPRESSED WITH THE CARS CONDITION. THE BLUE BOOK ON THE CAR CAME OUT TO BE 25,986 SO I GOT AN EXCELLENT DEAL ON IT.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:51 AM

caps lock off pal

Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

they are just letters. you really shouldn't let so many little things bother you like this. are you sure you are ok? do you need to talk to someone?[sm=boohoo.gif]