Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Yet Another Suspension Issue. Please explain - I'm perplexed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Yet Another Suspension Issue. Please explain - I'm perplexed!

After the brutal cold we had last week in the midwest my 2005 Audi A8L had both yellow and green suspension lights on and flashing. All 4 sides were extremely low and car was shaking the few miles I drove it. I've had this happen once or twice in the past (cold weather again) and it's returned back to normal after a day. This time around it didn't and the car was completely low for days even after warming up.

I got the car towed to the mechanic and they inspected it. Said I needed a new compressor which is $2000 and even after that it might have a leak in the strut (which would cost more). I opted to not do the repair at the moment and decided to just drive the car back home (a few miles). Expecting a bumpy ride - I noticed it wasn't bumpy at all, the yellow light had gone away but the green light is still on, and after getting out the vehicle was no longer low to the ground. Called the mechanic and he was just as confused as I was and had no explanation.

Can someone here explain what just happened? I'm stunned.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

Probably ice in the pipes/valve block. Compressing damp air causes condensation to form.There is a silica gel compartment on the compressor intake to mitigate this.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

Ice in the lines, or Clearance issues in the pump during cold. When it's super cold out the materials contract, and the seals freeze. This allows air to pass freely in the pump causing a lack of pressure. May just need some lubrication as well.