Audi Q Model Line SUV

Purchasing a Q5/Q7 - Looking for feedback. Also, driveline vibration ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Purchasing a Q5/Q7 - Looking for feedback. Also, driveline vibration ??

So my wife's 2005 A4 is at Audi for some service that I just didn't have time to do myself so we took it in. After we scheduled the appointment we took a walk around the dealer and started looking at the Q5/Q7 and really like them. We like the Q7 better. They seem to sit higher more like an SUV and the Q5 seems too short and looks kinda funny compared to the 7.

After we left we called them back and asked if we could request a Q7 when we drop the car off since we were looking at one and wanted to get a thorough test drive in all driving conditions and roads instead of the short test drives at the dealer. Plus we wanted to make sure it fit in the garage. They said no problem and gave us one. Its a 2014 Q7 3.0 Supercharged Quattro.

First off, that is one sweet car. We've only had it for 3 days but my wife fell in love with it. I drove it a little and it's a great driving car. All the features are nice as well (I love little gadgets and such on vehicles). Power is great and smooth riding. She said it rides even better on the interstate.

My question is this. For those of you that have a '13 or '14 Q7 (or Q5) what are your overall impressions of the car? For those with a few thousand miles on it, how are they holding up? I've read that they can go through brakes pretty quickly (25-30K only) though. What is your fuel mileage as well (we would also consider a TDI)? They also seem like they would be a little easier to do maintenance myself compared to her A4 1.8T. More room to move around and actually see things.

One thing I did notice was that there was a slight driveline vibration under acceleration. My wife didn't notice it but she usually doesn't notice things like this. I'm not sure if its just the quattro or not but our A4 doesn't feel like that. It reminds me of the driveline vibration on the older Jeep Cherokee (early 2000's). It's not dramatic but just noticeable and didn't feel like it was the road surface. Has anybody noticed this on their Q7?

Sorry for the long post but I'm wanting to get some real world feedback before we drop $50K+ on a new car.

Last edited by Mossyoakglock; 11-13-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

I had a Q5 and hated it because "with 2 kids" it was too small, upgraded to the Q7 , 7 months ago for a weekend family car and love it, we've put 6800 miles on it, we did have a small issue with the tilt wheel and rear taillights but they fixed it at the last service without issue since. My fuel mielage, ummm we don't want to talk about that, I always drive it in sport mode

Old 12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, Artistic.

We have pretty much decided against the Q5 so it would be the Q7. My one concern is the driveline vibration that I felt while driving it.

Does yours have a slight vibration in the floorboard when accelerating? I noticed an ever so slight one. It reminded me of the holder Jepp Cherokee's (early 2000's) that had a driveline vibration that was due to them being all-wheel drive.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

I've never noticed any vibration. I drive a work van everyday so I'm not very sensitive to those sort of things, everything feels smooth compared to my van.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

It could have been the tires slightly out of balance, maybe even the road but I drive that section every day and have never noticed anything in our other cars.

It was one sweet ride though. It had less than 3,000 miles on it I believe and drove amazing. Plenty of room in the back and even had the optional 3rd row (not sure when we would actually ever use it as it was pretty cramped back there.)

Power, steering, braking, sound system and all the little gadgets (which I love gadgets) were top notch.