Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

"Growling" transmission noise in Q5 2.0T when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
1st Gear
Question "Growling" transmission noise in Q5 2.0T when cold

Can anyone help me figure out why my 2011 2.0T Q5 makes a "growling" noise when it is running on fast idle when cold and the transmission is in gear? I garage my car and the sound resonates inside (but is hard to hear outside with the windows up). The noise goes away after a few minutes and the idle speed returns to normal. This happens at all outside temps from 30 to 70. It did not occur the first couple of weeks after I got the new car from the dealer but now is there every time I start the car (and my hearing is probably getting more selective).

The dealer was stumped. They checked all lube levels and they are fine. They listened to several other 2011 2.0Ts and they all made the funny sound. Their advice is to live with it.

I am a little disappointed that a car that has such refined engineering has such an annoying habit. I guess I just need to start the car 5 minutes early and warm it up before I show it off to others.

Any thoughts would be apprecitated.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

Mine is doing it also in Florida. I was at the VW/Audi dealer Friday and they said they just had another one in there doing the same thing.
If it is in neutral it won't do it. When you shift into gear it does it.
The dealer has called tech line about it.
I want it solved also.
I also have a sound like a bad power sterring pump. They are still listening for it also.
Other than that, I love it. It is smoothe as silk @ 115mph.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Smile Power steering pump was bad

Growling was not transmission but power steering pump. Mine was replaced at the Mobile, AL dealer Dean McCrary and all is well now.
They also did two software upgrades on the transmission while it was there.

Reading the tech report was funny--- "techline had me preform 2 updates one on ECM and one trans. Also ran GFF multiple test drives with chassis ears attachedCHASSIS EARS ATTACHED. Found power steering faulty and updates fixed shifting concerns."

All is quite now!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Number 5! I'll mention your solution to the dealer next trip. The "chassis ears" sound like fun. I can conjure up many images in my mind.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 PM
1st Gear
Angry

UPDATE:

Transmission now being replaced. Power steering pump not entire issue.
System errored out with no use of transmission until powered off and back on.
Took to Dean McCrary Audi in Mobile, AL and they couldn't figure it out so the called techline and they ended up sending "The Wizard" tech down from Atlanta and he said the tranny was bad @ 11,000 miles.

They are supposed to get in the tranny from Vancouver, Canada (the only one on the locater in North America) tomorrow and take one to two days to install.

The Wizard told them to test it for two more days after changing it out so maybe I will get it back by the middle of July.

Meantime I am driving a loaner Kia since they don't participate in the Audi loaner program.

Very disappointing!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:37 AM
1st Gear

did they tell you what caused the transmission issues?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Can you offer any more info on this issue

I have a 2012 Q5 (85,000 miles) and this morning when started I heard a loud roaring noise from the transmission when shifted into reverse. It went away when shifted back into park. Then put back into reverse and drove a few feet and the noise stopped.

It if was a manual I would have thought it was a throw-out bearing failing. But it does sound like a bad bearing.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Would it be good to complete a fluid and filter change on the transmission?

any thoughts would be helpful before I get stranded on the side of the road.

chris

Old 09-01-2016, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Mine started doing this a week or so ago (2012 Q5, 100K miles). Any others had any further experience with this, what I should expect? I was going to change the transmission fluid and filter in the next couple of days. Again, anybody have any further info?

Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mp66226
Mine started doing this a week or so ago (2012 Q5, 100K miles). Any others had any further experience with this, what I should expect? I was going to change the transmission fluid and filter in the next couple of days. Again, anybody have any further info?
Just pinging again, hopefully will get some reply.