Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Q5 dashboard Warning message: Gearbox Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Q5 dashboard Warning message: Gearbox Malfunction

Hi!

Im posting an issue from Sweden...
I recently left my -09 Q5 2.0 TFSI Audi for troubleshooting about a warning light that turns on and off after a while, saying: "Malfunction gearbox, limited functionality, you can continue to drive".
The automatic transmission gets a bit slower when the warning light is on but after turning off, automatic transmission goes back to normal condition and operating normally.
Audi Sweden-Uppsala has made a debugging and found that the circuit board for mechatronics must be replaced, which seems to be
very expensive. Though the first time I got a price of 8,000 SEK and 6,000 SEK for replacing the water pump due glycol level decreases in the container.
So I considered of maybe selling the car because of the expensive costs.
However I decided to fix the errors and pay 14.000 SEK to Audi as they had no time before summer vacations.

So I called Audi Stockholm and managed to get a time next week before the holiday. But Audi Stockholm notes that replacing the mechatronics board cost 32,000 SEK!!!
Unfortunately, the car has 15,000 mil and insurance will not cover warranty for gearbox either.

So now Audi Sthlm want to troubleshoot themselves and see if there really is something wrong with the mechatronics board or not.
Have read on foreign Audi forums that some q5´s had the same problem as me with the warning light "gearbox Malfunction ...."
where people in the community had proposed to Mechatronics board would fix the error with the warning light.
Should such a warning light mean that you have to change a circuit board that cost 32,000 kr??
I have owned the car since last year and changed the battery and paid for the service which is normal and acceptable but the problem with a leaking water pump + gearbox malfunction warning does not feel really good.
Has anyone anything professional opinion on what I should do?
Or has anyone heard of this problem with the warning light; "gearbox Malfunction ....." ?
Would really be grateful for some tips/advice: 0))

/KR Peyman

Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Gearbox warning

Have started getting the gearbox malfunction sign appear on dashboard where it says limited function but you may continue driving? What could be the problem? We don't have Audi dealer in Kenya! Help

Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Just happened to me. Dealer would not honor CPO and said $350 to diagnose. Found broken sensor in transmission. g676. Now they want $5500 to repair. It's a sensor deep in trans , not mechanical. Audi is about to lose my business and that of anyone else who paid $3500 for CPO that includes fine print.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Gearbox Malfunction Issue

I have a 2011 Q5 which has continually given me the "Gearbox Malfunction" issue. The issue began in the fall of 2013 and it seems to coincide with a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) error. The TPMS error will display first, then the Gearbox Malfunction error kicks in and the car completely stalls. I have to shut the car down for at least 5 minutes, then I can turn it on and continue to drive. First time this happened the dealer reviewed the issue and said it was due to a software update. 2nd time they stated it was due to a corroded selector lever. Waiting on the response for the 3rd attempt to fix this issue. Would appreciate any feedback on what I'm dealing with here. This is my first AUDI.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Switching dealers can help. My Audi S-5 dealer in Coral Springs, Fl wanted to charge me $5500 to fix gearbox malfunction error. Said part was software (not covered in warranty) deep in transmission. Audi USA took ten days to get back to me to resolve, and said the dealer was correct. Meanwhile, the dealer 30 miles away in Palm Beach FL agreed it was software, said it was covered, and fixed it for free. Took a week.

Audi USA and the dealer in Coral Springs let me down. Good thing honest dealer knew what to do.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

We own a 2010 Audi Q5 with only 45,000 km on the clock serviced from new at Audi here in Portugal and have the same problem of the Gearbox Malfunction error, plus sometime it also comes up with Parking Brake Error and kills the power, which when happens the only way to resolve this is to stop the car and restart it which is worrying and dangerous.

The bill to take out the gearbox and replace the faulty sensor is €2,100, which we are being told is not covered by the warranty. This is obviously and electrical part failure from a batch from a supplier, the sensor part number is V0B5 927 321 L, can anyone tell me which supplier this came from?

What is adding insult to injury is the fact that we are being told that we should drive the car is this fault could cause further damage to the gearbox.

From our understanding this is a faulty part which should be covered by Audi and charged back to their supplier. can't understand why Audi won't hold its hands up and admit it?

If anyone else has had a similar problem or provide any information which could help us it would be very much appreciated.

If we can't get this resolved with Audi, it will be the last Audi which we ever buy and we will make sure that as many people and possible will know also, which won't help us much, but i am sure will cost Audi much more in lost sales!
Just hope that it doesn't have to come to this.

Last edited by Faulty Audi; 07-31-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Faulty Audi
We own a 2010 Audi Q5 with only 45,000 km on the clock serviced from new at Audi here in Portugal and have the same problem of the Gearbox Malfunction error, plus sometime it also comes up with Parking Brake Error and kills the power, which when happens the only way to resolve this is to stop the car and restart it which is worrying and dangerous.

The bill to take out the gearbox and replace the faulty sensor is €2,100, which we are being told is not covered by the warranty. This is obviously and electrical part failure from a batch from a supplier, the sensor part number is V0B5 927 321 L, can anyone tell me which supplier this came from?

What is adding insult to injury is the fact that we are being told that we should drive the car is this fault could cause further damage to the gearbox.

From our understanding this is a faulty part which should be covered by Audi and charged back to their supplier. can't understand why Audi won't hold its hands up and admit it?

If anyone else has had a similar problem or provide any information which could help us it would be very much appreciated.

If we can't get this resolved with Audi, it will be the last Audi which we ever buy and we will make sure that as many people and possible will know also, which won't help us much, but i am sure will cost Audi much more in lost sales!
Just hope that it doesn't have to come to this.
Hi,
As you maybe read my thread about my earlier issue same as you have right now so Audi Sweden in my town Uppsala changed the mechatronic chipset in the gearbox and only charged me for the work and not the material.
So basically I paid only 8000 Swedish kr for only the time they spent for changing the chipset in the gearbox + service.
They didnt charge me for the material which could have cost me 24,000 Swedish kr ~ 2400 euros.
So after Audi fixed the issue and returned the car the problem was gone and the gearbox kept functioning as usual.
This issue is a supplier defect and they must in fact fix it by free of charge ( by goodwill) due that Q5 2.0 tfsi with automatic gearbox 2009 - 2010 has this typical problem.

I even had a problem with oil consumption where the motor oil level was decreased by half I.e. from max which is 5,2 litres to half 2,6 litres by just driving 140 kilometres.
So my Audi dealer changed the motor pistons free of charge and since that the problem was solved.
This reparation would have costed me 50,000 Swedish kr if they were supposed to charge me the cost.
So basically try to push them and mention that you did some research and the gearbox issue is a fabricate issue and you are not supposed to pay because it's typical for Q5 2009-2010 2.0 tfsi tiptronic models.
Good luck!

​​​​​

Old 08-05-2017, 06:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Thank you Q5 Sweden

Hello Q5 Sweden,

Thank you for replying back on this thread, we are also experiencing the oil problem, but right now want to try to sort out the gearbox issue first as we were informed by the garage that we shouldn't drive the car as this could cause further damage to the gearbox.

Would it be possible to use your example to help with my claim, we are about a draft a letter to AUDI Head Office Portugal, Audi Head Office and Consumer Protection and any points of reference could help us?

Thank you again.
Simon

Old 08-06-2017, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Hi Simon,
Yes indeed, I would be happy if you
​​​​ could use my thread as reference.

if you need more details plz let me know!
Good luck.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 AM
1st Gear

Hi,

I live in Dubai, bought a Q5 3.2 in 2011, but 2102 model. This morning, I got the same problem with the Gearbox Malfunction error. Went to my garage, they made the electronic diagnostic and said no surprise, the sensor in the gearbox is dead and needs to be replaced. The sensor's cost of 300 USD is nothing compared to the number of hours (20) needed to extract the sensor from the gearbox (apparently they build the gearbox around the sensor so it take so much time to replace it). He said that this is very common but comes earlier than usual on these Q5 (generally at 90k - 100k KM, while mine just turned 80k) ... Seems to be a general deficiency among Q5. Total cost will be around 2200 USD. He said that at 110K km he sees a lot of problems with the tiptronic system which costs at least double that... be careful !

Quick Reply: Q5 dashboard Warning message: Gearbox Malfunction