Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

2007 Q7 4.2 - Engine struggles to start only when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default 2007 Q7 4.2 - Engine struggles to start only when warm

Hi everyone, I've been having troubles finding a solution to my problem with my Q7. There seems to be a lot of similar issues floating around the web so I'll try to explain my particular symptoms as detailed as possible.

When the engine is cold, it starts without hesitation, no problems at all. The closer it gets to being warm, the more it struggles to turn over and if it's completely warm it won't start, it will just struggle and struggle eventually draining the battery if I continue to try.

When it's struggling to start, it's not cranking at full speed, it makes that same slow crank that it would if the battery were nearly dead. However sometimes it will "catch" and crank at normal speed resulting in a nice running engine.

When it get's to the point of not wanting to turn over, I carry a booster pack with me and if I hook up the booster pack, it starts immediately without hesitation, a nice healthy sounding crank. The strange part is it doesn't even drain juice out of the booster pack, I've used it probably 20+ times now and the booster pack is still at 100%. I've had to use this booster pack on dead batteries before and every time I've done that the power indicator shows that it's drained below 100%.

Does anyone know what would be causing this? My guess is it has something to do with the cables or the ground but I don't know where to look and how to diagnose it. I took it to Audi but they didn't see anything wrong with it (they probably waited a few hours before the mechanic looked at it, so he wouldn't have seen any problem because he likely didn't warm up the engine).

Old 09-22-2020, 09:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Was this problem resolved? This is the exact problem I'm having

=DSutherland;1511995]Hi everyone, I've been having troubles finding a solution to my problem with my Q7. There seems to be a lot of similar issues floating around the web so I'll try to explain my particular symptoms as detailed as possible.

When the engine is cold, it starts without hesitation, no problems at all. The closer it gets to being warm, the more it struggles to turn over and if it's completely warm it won't start, it will just struggle and struggle eventually draining the battery if I continue to try.

When it's struggling to start, it's not cranking at full speed, it makes that same slow crank that it would if the battery were nearly dead. However sometimes it will "catch" and crank at normal speed resulting in a nice running engine.

When it get's to the point of not wanting to turn over, I carry a booster pack with me and if I hook up the booster pack, it starts immediately without hesitation, a nice healthy sounding crank. The strange part is it doesn't even drain juice out of the booster pack, I've used it probably 20+ times now and the booster pack is still at 100%. I've had to use this booster pack on dead batteries before and every time I've done that the power indicator shows that it's drained below 100%.

Does anyone know what would be causing this? My guess is it has something to do with the cables or the ground but I don't know where to look and how to diagnose it. I took it to Audi but they didn't see anything wrong with it (they probably waited a few hours before the mechanic looked at it, so he wouldn't have seen any problem because he likely didn't warm up the engine).[/QUOTE]

Old 09-26-2021, 04:06 AM
Default Audi Q7 intermittent hard start

Originally Posted by Stan III
=DSutherland;1511995]Hi everyone, I've been having troubles finding a solution to my problem with my Q7. There seems to be a lot of similar issues floating around the web so I'll try to explain my particular symptoms as detailed as possible.

Does anyone know what would be causing this? My guess is it has something to do with the cables or the ground but I don't know where to look and how to diagnose it. I took it to Audi but they didn't see anything wrong with it (they probably waited a few hours before the mechanic looked at it, so he wouldn't have seen any problem because he likely didn't warm up the engine).
[/QUOTE]
I have the same problem I replaced the crank angle sensor ..problem seem to be fixed for a few weeks now the same symptoms and problem has returned

Old 10-28-2021, 06:11 PM

I have the same problem I replaced the crank angle sensor ..problem seem to be fixed for a few weeks now the same symptoms and problem has returned[/QUOTE]
Hey mate ..I'm having the same problem..did you end up having any luck with the problem..I also replaced the crank angle sensor ..fixed problem for two three weeks
Starting to think it a earth issue
Any help would be appreciated

Old 04-09-2022, 09:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Same issue with 2013 TDI

Hey folks
This thread is probably old don’t know if allowed to reply 😜
I have the same issue jump start works both in cold and warm, worst starting once the car is warm long cranks but jump start makes it easier
anyone fixed the issue?
thanks

Old 04-09-2022, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DSutherland
Hi everyone, I've been having troubles finding a solution to my problem with my Q7. There seems to be a lot of similar issues floating around the web so I'll try to explain my particular symptoms as detailed as possible.

have you fixed the issue mate?

Old 08-31-2022, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

Hi all;

My 2 cents worth
I have three 2007 Q7's with 3.0 diesel engine. I have found if the battery is not keeping a good charge it causes a lot of grief. Check with a plug in battery monitoring system to see if the alternator is keeping it above 13V if not replace the regulator / alternator (easy job) pull the front light out to get better access. the reg costs about 40 Euro and is usually the issue due to brushes being worn out, if the charging system is ok, battery replacement is next, you could go the other way around and do the battery first but that is a more expensive route if you don't check the alternator.
Here's a good tip, I broke down in one Q7 about 30 miles from but I was in town, so I went to the auto factor and purchased a battery, put it in the passengers side floor and run jumper leads through the window to the back of the bonnet and connected to the jump terminals, car started immediately and got me home, turned out that was the alternator though.
The above are easy fixes for these older cars and may eliminate a few issues for quite a reasonable cost - good luck, hope it helps