Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

LED for license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:05 AM
Default LED for license plate

I believe that the part number is 6418. I ordered few Festoon Super White 39mm LED for the license plate. Stock is Phillip 12V. The problem is that if I install 2 LED, the license plate has no single bulb lit up. If I install a mixmatch, LED and stock Phillip bulbs are lit up.

I really like the LED look for the license plate. Please advise.

Thanks for reading.

James

Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: LED for license plate

So your saying only one LED lights up? Did you try using another LED?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:03 AM

Since LED consumes much lower power, thus, requiring a resistor. Here are 3 attached pics of my Q7 license plate. I didn't think that people in the world would be interested in my license plate numbers so I blocked them out. The license plate now looks like those latest Lexus vehicles.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Site Moderator

Thats pretty cool looking dude! I like it.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 PM

Hi, I really dig your LED License Setup. I put in LED Turn Signals Last night on my q7 and tried to install LED in my License plate. I was curious how you connected your Resistors to the LED Light. I could not find any wiring to hook the resistors to. Your help is greatly appreciated. Also What was the final resistors that you ended up using. Thanks, Ryan

Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Has anyone you know in the forum had any sucess installing LED lights in the 4 brake lights in the Q7

Old 11-11-2007, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

No need to install resistors anymore. I was thinking to put LED for my license plate light so did a search on this forum. Here is a web site posted by someone that sells 14.5v LED, specially designed for 12v VW (Audi should works fine) bulbs. http://www.42draftdesigns.com/

I just ordered a pair this monring.

ORIGINAL: rctoon

Hi, I really dig your LED License Setup. I put in LED Turn Signals Last night on my q7 and tried to install LED in my License plate. I was curious how you connected your Resistors to the LED Light. I could not find any wiring to hook the resistors to. Your help is greatly appreciated. Also What was the final resistors that you ended up using. Thanks, Ryan

Old 11-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Thats a great find. I just went to order and they are out of stock. Can you let me know how they work out for you.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

They told me those bulbs are in back order until later December so I don't have them yet. I will let you know when I installed them.

Thats a great find. I just went to order and they are out of stock. Can you let me know how they work out for you.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kchao2000

No need to install resistors anymore. I was thinking to put LED for my license plate light so did a search on this forum. Here is a web site posted by someone that sells 14.5v LED, specially designed for 12v VW (Audi should works fine) bulbs. http://www.42draftdesigns.com/

I just ordered a pair this monring.

I put these on today and cannot get them to both light up. Can only get one LED and one filament bulb, but with both installed, they don't come on.

UPDATE - I put a 33 ohm resistor from Radio Shack in parallel with one of the LEDs. Works fine now. The bulbs are really bright and give a crisp white light that fills the rear license area - just like the Lexus.

Quick Reply: LED for license plate