Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

LED for license plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: LED for license plate

LED Installation...

All,

I really like the look of of the LEDs for the license plate (lej1447, yours are nice). But I am not interested in the installation of a resistor or any other electrical addition to a brand new vehicle. Has anyone successfully installed LEDs in their license plate without the use of a resistor?

Thanks for your inputs.

Wil
3.6 Premium
Limestone Gray Leather
Panarama Roof
4 Zone Climate Control
19in Wheels

Old 01-14-2008, 05:46 PM

Hey aggie88, I tried to install a 33 Ohm resistor on my 2008 Audi S6 for these LED bulbs to work on my license plate. When I installed the resistor, one light worked and the other didn't. Then I noticed that when I took out the bulb the resistor was smoking and turned black...probably would have fried it for good if I left it onlonger.

Any ideas. How did you get yours to work?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 AM

Sorry for I did not subscribed to this thread, so I did not know whether or not people have kept this thread alive. Any how, here is the update. I used 50ohm resistor before. LED may have last few months. I then used 150ohm resistor. They seem to last much longer before LED starting flickering a lot. The LED w/o resistor still works fine. I went back to stock. However, I haved placed the LED back this morning with the same 150ohm resistor. Both work fine. This is what I have learned.

6 LEB festoon may not work as ideally as the 9 LED festoon due to possibly closer voltage. I have a Lexus, and many on those forum stated 9 LED festoon works better. For flickering issue, either LED is closed to being fried, being vibrated too much and can't last, or resistor is dying. Any how, I have lots of extra 6 LED festoon, so I may order some 9 LED as extra replacement to experiment. With 9 LED festoon, I may not have to use resistor, or at least lower ohm resistor since they are nearly match. Life span can be longer.

The possible downside with multi-LED is that they don't withstand the vibration from the road as long as a single LED. Many on Lexus forum have claimed that single LED is just as bright as multi LED festoon. Therefore, I may order such at the time I order 9LED festton so that I can have them ready for convenient experiment whenever the time requires. Save S&H as well. :> )

NOTE: LED have polarity. Therefore, if I install two good festoons, and one works while the other does not, I must take the non lit festoon and rotate 180 degree before placing it back in again. Good luck. In case I don't check back regulary, just order yourself a bunch of LED (single and multiLED plus couple types of resistors) and report back here what you have found. You can only be good at what you do once you have more experience.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

I would check a site www.superbrightleds.com for your LED needs. I have bought no less than 50 LED's for various spots in my previous car and have never had a problem with their products. Plus, must come with a built in resistor for use in a 12v system. FYI, the higher the resistor, the less output on the light, but longer lasting.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Here is a web site. specially designed for audi .

I just ordered a pair this .

http://stores.ebay.com/LED-BULBS-EMP...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

this is what they say..

ERROR FREE bulbs, Specially designed and made for European vehicles, it has built-in chip to counter car maker's sensor. Without this special chip, the only way to make the LED work on the European vehicles will be installing the LED resistor or equalizer and that cost more money and way more time and troubles to install the bulbs. Our special design bulbs DO NOT require any additional hardware to make the install and it's error message free, plus no flashing issue known to happen with LEDs installed on the European vehicles. With our bulbs, it will be Easy installation, Direct Replacement and Error Free