Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 towing a travel trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Wireless Brake Controller

Originally Posted by dagwood15t
Sir, I have a 2015 Audi Q7 tdi with regular suspension
could you point me in the right direction of brake controller and install and also if I should upgrade my suspension

I’ll be pulling a 5800 pound travel trailer two axel
and was looking at the wd hitch adapter and a Malone tune as well
any advice would be great!!!
Use the Tekonsha wireless controller. You may have to find someone with a Ford or Chevy truck for setup since the problems most people experience is with the initial setup. I have one on a 5000 lb trailer that I was towing with a Chevy truck. When I put the hand held in my Q7 it worked perfectly.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Twining with 2012 Q7

Hi there,

Brand new to the forum, need some help. We have a 2012 Q7 with the factory tow package (not TDI). We are moments away from purchasing a travel trailer. The dry vehicle weight of the trailer is 4900 lb and the hitch weight is 500lb. Fully loaded it will just top 7000 lb so we need to be careful how much we stow. Based on Audi numbers this seems ok but I joined a trailer forum for the model of trailer we are buying and the folks there said don’t even dream of towing that rig with your Audi. So now I’m a bit nervous. Am I ok to tow this? And what about an HD hitch? I’m seeing a lot of mixed advice ranging from ‘no sweat’ to ‘oh my God, you’re gonna die!’ Need help quick, trying to get this deal finished this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:33 AM
1st Gear
Default No Sweat!

Originally Posted by Kat n Evan
Hi there,

Brand new to the forum, need some help. We have a 2012 Q7 with the factory tow package (not TDI). We are moments away from purchasing a travel trailer. The dry vehicle weight of the trailer is 4900 lb and the hitch weight is 500lb. Fully loaded it will just top 7000 lb so we need to be careful how much we stow. Based on Audi numbers this seems ok but I joined a trailer forum for the model of trailer we are buying and the folks there said don’t even dream of towing that rig with your Audi. So now I’m a bit nervous. Am I ok to tow this? And what about an HD hitch? I’m seeing a lot of mixed advice ranging from ‘no sweat’ to ‘oh my God, you’re gonna die!’ Need help quick, trying to get this deal finished this weekend. Thanks in advance.
Don’t pay much attention to people who don’t understand the dynamics of towing trailers. The Audi Q7 is a great tow vehicle and is much heavier than most people realize. My 2011 Q7 TDI weighed more than most Most four-door pick up trucks. I pulled my 24 foot airstream trailer from coast to coast in Canada & the USA And had no difficulty in any of the mountains including an 11 mile 7% grade in Idaho and temperatures were 105°F. I have traveled extensively with Caravan’s and discovered that the Q7 hook up is more stable in strong cross winds Then most of my colleagues towing with pick up trucks. I know tow with a 2018 Q7 and find it is just as capable has the 2011 TDI.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Do you use a WD hitch? Our trailer came with one and we hooked it up. Our first outing with the setup was a trip around our RV storage parking lot. Super noisy around corners, I thought someone was banging on the hitch with a hammer. Then my wife tried to back the car into a spot on a 90 degree angle. The hitch made a loud thump. One of the WD bars had come off and the mount was twisted. Impossible top put bar back on. I have posted our experience on several forums, both audi forums and our trailers forums. The responses have ranged from you can use a WD on an Audi, you can't back up with a WD (the hitch is an equalizer and mfg says it allows backing) and what the hell are you doing pulling that rig at all? we are super discouraged and not sure what to do next. If we go with a standard hitch how do we account for the 6" difference between the receiver and the hitch. It feels like we jumped in the deep end before we were ready.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Do you use a WD hitch? Our trailer came with one and we hooked it up. Our first outing with the setup was a trip around our RV storage parking lot. Super noisy around corners, I thought someone was banging on the hitch with a hammer. Then my wife tried to back the car into a spot on a 90 degree angle. The hitch made a loud thump. One of the WD bars had come off and the mount was twisted. Impossible top put bar back on. I have posted our experience on several forums, both audi forums and our trailers forums. The responses have ranged from you can use a WD on an Audi, you can't back up with a WD (the hitch is an equalizer and mfg says it allows backing) and what the hell are you doing pulling that rig at all? we are super discouraged and not sure what to do next. If we go with a standard hitch how do we account for the 6" difference between the receiver and the hitch. It feels like we jumped in the deep end before we were ready.
I was sorry to hear about your experience with first-time towing. Please don't panic. You will do okay.

Yes, I use weight distribution hitch and anyone towing with less than a one ton truck uses one as well. You will find some folks telling you that Audi says not use weight distribution hitch but you should disregard this advice as the Audi is manufactured in Germany where towing setups are quite different than in North America. Audi Q7 is a very competent towing vehicle and, once you get the hang of it, you will enjoy it.

As I may have noted in an earlier post, I no longer use a conventional WD hitch but rather use Hensley hitch which is still a WD hitch. When I was using at Reese WD hitch I used and anti-sway bars which needed to be loosened when backing up around a corner. When you are in a campground will notice that many trailers, as they are turning or backing up at slow speeds, make a very loud clunking , banging noise. This is normal. I wonder if your bent equalizer bar was a result of "jackknifing"which simply means that the angle between the trailer and the car was too steep i.e. about 90°. Several of my friends have done the same thing when backing up at too sharp an angle.
I suggest you might want to contact Andy Thomson at Can-Am Rv Centr in London Ontario Canada. His phone number is 519-652-3284. He has an international reputation as being the foremost hitch and towing guru in North America. Many people travel from as far away as California to have him set up their hitches and tow vehicles. He is a very busy man but is always willing to talk to people with towing problems. I'm not suggesting that you need to travel to London Ontario but simply give him a phone call. Before doing so, make sure that you know the make and model of your hitch. Please check out their website at Can -Am RV Centre. Andy has posted many articles about safe towing practices. If you can't find them online, call the dealership and asked for the link.
Enjoy your trailering adventures.
Terry

Old 06-15-2020, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks so much for your reply. We are using (were using) the Equalizer WD hitch system. Any thoughts in this unit?

Old 06-15-2020, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Also, you said:

When I was using at Reese WD hitch I used and anti-sway bars which needed to be loosened when backing up around a corner.

Does that mean when you get to the park
or to the space you want you drop the jack and lift the trailer to pull off the sway bars before doing any backing? I know I’m asking a lot of noob questions but this is a lot to get my head around.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

I have no useful comments on your Equalizer hitch as I have only used a Reese.Any conventional WD hitch other than Hensley or Pro-Pride should also use sway bars.....unless the hitch has that feature built into its design.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Anti-Sway Bars

Also, you said:

When I was using at Reese WD hitch I used and anti-sway bars which needed to be loosened when backing up around a corner.

Does that mean when you get to the park
or to the space you want you drop the jack and lift the trailer to pull off the sway bars before doing any backing? I know I’m asking a lot of noob questions but this is a lot to get my head around.
I am not sure if you are actually using sway bars or whether you are confusing the actual torsion bars which provide the weight equalization. In most hitch situations these are two different devices. Most people need to slacken off the anti sway bars when backing up in a campground. You do not unhook equalizer bars.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

I believe I am referring to the torsion bars and unless I am mistaken they also provide the sway control.

Quick Reply: Q7 towing a travel trailer