Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Tires! Tires! Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Post Tires! Tires! Tires!

Hi all,

I need a new set of tires for my Q7. My tire size is:

275/ 45 R20 110H

I will realy like to know what your experiences have been with various brands. Which tire brands have you been happiest or most unhappy with and why?

Someone recommended Continentals (decent price) but the reviews online at tirerack were terrible and another person who used the same brand adviced me not to get them as they are suppose to wear out very quickly! The advice was that if I use them I should expect to buy a new set with 20K miles.

With the Q7 being such a heavy vehicle I want to make sure I will get a good return on my investment. As you know the tires for this vehicle are ridiculously expensive!

I have the 3.6 premium.

Please help!

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

The tires which came with the Q7 were crap. I have an 07 3.6 prem. and the tires were worn by 25,000 miles. These were the Continentals. I bought new tires and after looking at reviews went with the Generals which were fairly priced.

so far so good, the tires are not wearing as much as the Continentals did after 10,000 miles

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Administrator

You shud be MORE concerned with PERFORMANCE, than durability. Tires that last 1,000,000-miles won't perform well when it comes to cornering/stopping/launching/etc.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
You shud be MORE concerned with PERFORMANCE, than durability. Tires that last 1,000,000-miles won't perform well when it comes to cornering/stopping/launching/etc.
+100

The best return you can get on your investment is to be alive when they need to be replaced. You bought yourself a quality vehicle. Don't disgrace that smart choice by buying crappy tires. You can get great tires without paying top dollar, too. You just need to be a smart shopper.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Senior Administrator

To the OP, I don't roll an SUV, so I have xero vis on what is good/better/best but, since yer a fellow-ette AUdi enthusiast I'll poke around teh interwebz, scare up some links, and post them back here for you.

Best I can do.

Don't plan on getting myself an SUV (Range Rover Sport - FTW) until sometime next year, and I don'tt think you wanna wait that long...

Old 01-17-2010, 11:36 PM

I recently bought my 4.2 Premium in Houston, and it came with Bridgestone Dueler H/P 275/45 20's. A great looking tire,and all the ratings on it look like they're worth the money they cost. I bought the vehicle with 40,000 miles, so I assume these are the original tires that came with it. They're probably 50-60% worn, but still rode extremely well on the 3000 mile "test drive" bringing it home. I will likely buy another set of these once they're shot.

I replaced these for our Canadian winter with some true winter snow tires. Dunlop Grandtrek's. Amazing grip on ice and hard snow. They do plow a bit in deep snow, but that's cus they're so wide. Great tires and they ran me about $1800 Cdn installed, which looks like about what the Dueler H/P's will cost me in this market too when I have to replace them.

Hope this feedback helps.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM

I can't speak to performance (I don't drive the Q7 that aggressively), but I just got (recently) new Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. I have about 3K miles on them and they are fantastic. Very quiet, worked well in snow/rain (took the Q up to Colorado over the holidays), and are very smooth.

Just my $.02 worth...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback and advice. They really were helpful and I appreciate you all. Sorry for the very late reply though; been traveling so haven't had much time to sign on.
I ended up buying a set of the Bridgestone duelers, and I love them so far.
Thanks again!