Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2008 Audi TT remove front license plate holder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Default 2008 Audi TT remove front license plate holder?

Does anyone know how to remove the front license plate off the 2008 TT and replace it with the front grille filler panel? I have done some detailed searching but can't find out how it is removed. I take off the license plate and there are two hex screws, plus there are two clamps at the bottom of the license plate panel. I can get it to losen up from the bottom but don't know if there are other screws holding it down somewhere that i don't know of.
Anyone got some pictures on how they removed it and replaced it with the front grille filler panel?
Thanks...
(I will take some pictures of what I have done so far and upload them later, or if i figure it out I will let you know) - but right now I need some help

Old 05-11-2008, 01:33 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: 2008 Audi TT remove front license plate holder?

Should have the same clips/tabs as the filler panel I'd guess. Take a look at that and see if its just a matter of pulling hard?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:51 PM

I guess I am afraid of pulling super hard. I haven't gotten the filler panel yet (it comes on Tuesday), but I wanted to get a head start on the project. I took off the clips/tabs from the original already, but the top part is the hard part...if I just have to pull hard I will cross my fingers that I don't break anything .

Hopefully someone else has done it and has some pictures that they can share, if not I guess I will be the first one.

I will give the pull hard thing a try on Tuesday when I get the filler panel..

Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 PM
5th Gear

Its tough, there really isn't much Mk II support here, just about everybody has Mk. I TT's.

I hate to turn Mk. II guys away from here, but www.audiworld.com has a dedicated Mk. II forum, and you can probably get an answer there. every time I send someone there though, they don't come back, and we don't get any representation from the Mk. II crowd, which means continued lack of support for the Mk. II. A vicious cycle. : \

Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the tip...I will check it out.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

nm..posted without reading thoroughly enough

Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 AM

I finally got the front grille filler panel for the 2008 Audi TT (in this case it is the roadster but it doesn’t matter because the grill fits on all 2008 TTs. Here are the pictures and the steps on how I did it. Thanks to peoples input it took some muscle but some care not to break it.
STEP 1: First remove license plate
****<no picture needed>**** if you can’t do this then don’t go any further…LOL[/i]
[/i]
[/i] STEP 2: Remove the Hex screws:
Name:  hex_screw.jpg
Views: 4851
Size:  23.3 KB[/b]
[/b][/b]
Name:  hex_screws_from_bumper.jpg
Views: 6995
Size:  27.9 KB
STEP 3: Remove license plate panel
Take off the clips that are located underneath the bottom of the panel. There are two of them, one on each side. Here is a front view of where they are located underneath…(you can feel them with your finger and if you have a flashlight you can see them very easily.
Name:  Grill_off_on_floor.jpg
Views: 6523
Size:  38.5 KB

(the hook is located to the right on the snapping piece. I just put it there so you can see what it looked liked, but the arrow points to where it really is):
Name:  old_hooks.jpg
Views: 3315
Size:  33.7 KB

STEP 4: Unsnap the bottom part where you took the hooks off of.
(you can see the scratches that get left by the hooks. They have little prongs on them that grip to the car and the license panel. No one will ever see them since it is under the car, so don’t stress about it)
Name:  snaps_for_old_grilloncar.jpg
Views: 3324
Size:  30.2 KB
Name:  snaps_for_old_grill.jpg
Views: 7155
Size:  30.3 KB

STEP 5: Slowly pull up on the panel till it starts to come unsnapped.
This is where I was nervous, but you have to do it carefully and slow. I would start by sticking your finger at the top of the panel thru the grill and pull off the top part on the left or right side (do it on both sides). Let me tell you it is a pain in the butt and if you have big fingers is could be tough. This will loosen it up on the bottom and then the top but not in the middle (this is the tough part). Here is a picture of what I mean. There are little hooks that snap it into place and it works out easy if you pull somewhat in an upward diagonal motion; hence the reasons why you want to loosen the top part after you loosen the bottom part.
(here is a picture of the bottom right snap…see the lip, you have to pull that lip part down and pull it toward you).
Name:  closeup_of_snapsold_bottom.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  17.7 KB

(There are three snaps in the center where the license plate goes. The middle one is the toughest, but give it a little muscle and you will get it off).

(Here is a close-up of the center snap. See how there is a lip to it also…that is why I tell you to pull up at an angle, it came off easier that way.)
Name:  closeup_of_snapsold.jpg
Views: 3286
Size:  33.5 KB

STEP 6: You pulled it off now you are left with the bare bone portion of the grill
Name:  After_grill_comesoff.jpg
Views: 7819
Size:  48.3 KB

STEP 7: Take the new grill and snap it on. It is that easy, it takes about 5 seconds to do that.I also added the "S-Line" badge in the front that I got off ebay. You need to save two of your hooks from the grill to mount it properly and do some modification to it but it fits perfectly.
Name:  FrontGrill.jpg
Views: 8356
Size:  43.1 KB

[/b]

STEP 8: Put the clips back on. It gives you five of them but you be the judge, I only put two of them back on.
[/b] [/b] Name:  bag_of_hooks.jpg
Views: 3371
Size:  31.5 KB

[/b]

Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

Excellent writeup, and the S-Line badge is a nice touch!

Thanks for bringing it back to AudiForums.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

I klnow what u mean about not much representation on this site for the new TT, I dont post as much but still lurk around alot. Still not much out there for our cars yet but when there is Im sure it will PU in here for the new TT. I also lurk in the VWvortex and audiworld forums but audiworld guys dont like to do much performance upgrades, just looks.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Hey,

does anybody no the part number of the black grill filler?

Many thanks
Mike

Quick Reply: 2008 Audi TT remove front license plate holder?