Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

42draft Turbo-back exhaust review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM
cmh
Thumbs up 42draft Turbo-back exhaust review

I was lucky enough to be the prototype car for 42draft's downpipe and exhaust system for the 180Q- just sharing my initial thoughts after driving it for a few days...

This system sounds awesome, it's not noticeably louder than stock while at idle or low rpms, but it does have a deep tone.

It starts to growl @ 2500 and by 5500 sounds super mean, not "tinny", when cruising at highway speeds the sound is not obtrusive at all. You will definitely know it's there under almost all driving conditions but the marginal increase in noise is nothing the factory stereo can't overcome.

I live in a quiet neighborhood and so was hesitant about upgrading to anything louder than stock, so far so good, no "noise complaints"! I have found that I downshift a little less and roll lower rpms when I'm trying to be stealthy, but that effort is worth it to hear this thing run through the gears from a launch or on a highway on-ramp.

I don't have any dyno numbers to quote but the power increase is definitely noticeable after adding the rest of the 3" system to the previously installed downpipe; this upgrade has broken my TT through the power plateau in terms of I can now break the tires loose at will, and am much closer to switching to the Haldex blue controller to take full advantage of my new power. (hey I started with a 180 after all, wheelspin makes me very happy!)

Fitment and quality are top notch, the tips protrude centered and evenly through the valance, no rubs or rattles. This is a dual tip system so 180q owners will need a new valance.

I'm working on getting soundclips, there's some in 42's thread on vortex but to be honest, I don't think they do this system as much justice as it deserves, the muffler/resonator weren't fully broken in and the test driver was shifting like my grandma. (just kidding around thanks for not beating on my car while you had it 42!)

I'm also running APR93, R1, Race N75, Blackforest dogbone, Koni coils, Neuspeed swaybar, and K&N filter on the car for those wanting to compare.

Attached Thumbnails 42draft Turbo-back exhaust review-dsc01104.jpg   42draft Turbo-back exhaust review-img_0185.jpg   42draft Turbo-back exhaust review-dsc01103.jpg  
Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

very nice. That turbo back system is a little to pricey for me though...

you have a way to post a sound clip?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cmh
I can now break the tires loose at will,
Like at a launch? properly working haldex isnt going to let you get much wheel spin

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM
cmh

I meant that for the first time I can get it to go into ESP by applying throttle, and it doesnt have to be during a launch on gravel or wet roads anymore to do that.

I'd like the 50/50 haldex so I can be slightly more aggressive on the throttle before it starts to go into ESP. Am I mistaken as to what the blue haldex controller will accomplish?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear

do you not have an esp button to turn off?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM
3rd Gear

Nope Blue Haldex controller will split 50/50 during acceleration and braking, its the best bet for regular road use.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm make believe

blue cuts out during breaking, orange doesnt

Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 PM
cmh

I hadnt really considered upgrading the haldex before this mod, b/c my car never really went into esp. Now it does, and frequently enough to be a nuisance. I've got good rubber and my Haldex does work b/c I can get wheelspin at the rears with the ESP off.
I guess I'm not accustomed to pressing the esp button, and dont really like having to anticipate or think about wheelspin in order to remember to hit the button before I accelerate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, getting the blue controller gives me a 50/50 split all the time, > better/balanced traction to all 4 corners, > therefore less front wheelspin, > therefore less ESP.

It was my understanding that the ESP button turns off the computers override of the throttle, but doesnt do anything for my front wheels loosing traction before the rears do right?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 PM
4th Gear

Hmm... Any idea why 42dd will be releasing some info on this?
Oh, and no ASR/ESP FTW!!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
cmh

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4312544&page=1

There's undercar pics and soundclips in this thread-

Quick Reply: 42draft Turbo-back exhaust review