Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Advice for TT newb

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Advice for TT newb

hey guys,

My name is mike and i own a 2001 pontiac trans am WS6, and was recently proposotioned by a friend who would like to trade me for his audi. its a 2001 black TT Quattro. the car has 79000 miles on it and appears to be in pristine condition inside and out. I have a few questions for you guys and would appreciate any help you could give me.

ive always been told Audi's and BMWs are incredibibly hard to work on your self. Also ive been told mechanics will charge much more on an Audis as opposed to an american car. Considering all my experience has been with GM(one silverado and two trans am's) i'd like to know how you guys feel about this. i generally do all my own maintence keep in mind.

also id like to know about the reliability of this particular car and what problems i may expect. from what i under stand a vaccum hose was just replaced. as well as a timing belt and few other things recently.

i really love this car and i would like for our deal to work out but i need to know more. please fill me in.

thanks for any responses gentlemen

Old 04-26-2009, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BlackQuattro
hey guys,
ive always been told Audi's and BMWs are incredibibly hard to work on your self. Also ive been told mechanics will charge much more on an Audis as opposed to an american car. Considering all my experience has been with GM(one silverado and two trans am's) i'd like to know how you guys feel about this. i generally do all my own maintence keep in mind.
Its true. Theres a lot of dumb problems with the tt's, like the gas gauge not working correct or maf's always breaking. Usually nothing that leaves you stranded.

It's going to be a big change going from a t/a to an tt. Make sure the tt is the 225hp version (6 speed, dual exhust).

Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

yea, im pretty sure it is the 225 hp version, its a 6 speed and it has the quattro badges and dual tips. thanks for response man. also something i noticed while driving, when i shifted into 6th it felt as if something was knocking the shifter. could this be a problem?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

I was told that you can't get a good feel for the trans, unless you are around the correct speed for the gear. So, if you put it in 6th at 35mph, it is normal if it feels weird.

The tt isn't really known to have trans issues (at least not with the manual trans). Most of the comments are from the 1-2 shift being jerky.

If you end up trading for the tt, make sure all the maintance is up to date. Haldex (awd) fluid and filter, timing belt, ect. Brake pads/rotors tend to go out around 70k miles too, so check those out. Make sure the gas and temp gauges work correctly. It's common for the temp gauge to always be in the middle (not work or just moves 1 notch) and gas gauge to read 1/2 when the tank is empty. Try to get both keys too, since they are around $140 each.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jakej
I was told that you can't get a good feel for the trans, unless you are around the correct speed for the gear. So, if you put it in 6th at 35mph, it is normal if it feels weird.

The tt isn't really known to have trans issues (at least not with the manual trans). Most of the comments are from the 1-2 shift being jerky.

If you end up trading for the tt, make sure all the maintance is up to date. Haldex (awd) fluid and filter, timing belt, ect. Brake pads/rotors tend to go out around 70k miles too, so check those out. Make sure the gas and temp gauges work correctly. It's common for the temp gauge to always be in the middle (not work or just moves 1 notch) and gas gauge to read 1/2 when the tank is empty. Try to get both keys too, since they are around $140 each.
Great post for TT buyers....was wondering though...is there an easy fix for the gas gauge problem? or is it a 300$ your SOL type of thing?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

You'll need a new ~$300 cluster...you'll also need metric tools (but ONLY metric tools) and some random specific parts/bits. You will have a hard time finding TT-spec parts at places like Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. but that's ok There are several decent TT FAQs out there

Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jakej

ill be sure to check into all these things. thanks for the all the tips. i have another question if you dont mind. he says one of the front driveshaft boots is bad and needs to be replaced. how big of a job is this?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by l88m22vette
You'll need a new ~$300 cluster...you'll also need metric tools (but ONLY metric tools) and some random specific parts/bits. You will have a hard time finding TT-spec parts at places like Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. but that's ok There are several decent TT FAQs out there
i thought clusters were free now under a recall or something because the lcd's they put in were garbage... Mine is missing multiple lines so i planned on getting it replaced/

Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear

I had my gauge cluster replaced about a year ago and it was $1000 to replace and program. There's a guy on ebay who can fix *some* cluster problems for $300, but your taking a chance. I guess there was a recall, but I wouldn't expect your cluster to get fixed for free. Most of the recalls have so much fine print, its not even worth the effort.

I'm not sure about replacing the boot, but it should be about the same as doing it on any other car. It looks like it's easy to access.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

hey thanks for all the help jakej. ive looked into the things youve suggested and it appears everything is in order. so it looks like the deal will be going down any day now as soon as we can line up our schedules. so i appreciate all the help!

Quick Reply: Advice for TT newb