Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

APR High Flow Intake Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 PM
3rd Gear
Default APR High Flow Intake Manifold?

Hey I was looking at some other forums for 1.8t engines and I found out that APR is making a High Flow Intake Manifold for the 1.8t engines. I emailed them and they said that it will fit on the 225tt only because the TB is located on the drivers side. They also said that inorder to get a good fit that the head is going to have to be ported to fit the new intake manifold. How hard is it to port the head? Can the local tuning shop do it, or maybe a muscle car shop? Or does anyone know if any one else has a peformance intake manifold for sale? Thanks.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: APR High Flow Intake Manifold?

you dont want to do the porting yourself unless you know what to do.... leave it to the professionals

Old 12-12-2006, 04:48 PM

not hard to DIY head porting or i should say port matching, i do it for my vr6 high flo intake manifolds. here is a quick write up the will do the job, obviously not the first choice on how to do this but i did some like this before i started selling my soul to snap-on for the right tools.

this is after you already have the old manifold off.

1. shove damp paper towels into the ports very tightly and dont go to far in. (this is to prevent anything getting into the head)
2. take the new manifold and shove some play doh in each runner with a good amount peeled over the sides of the runner tubes (youll see)
3. Tighten the manifold down a little to make the play doh show the difference in ports (from manifold port to head port)
4. remove all the play doh now that you have an idea of how much porting is needed.
5. dremel that ****
6. use several magnetic pick up tools to clean out the shavings and when you think you got it all, do it again. Then hit with compressed air or shop vac should also do this before.
7. do porting to gasket or buy OEM silicon sealant.
8. install your manifold.

oh yeah pull out the paper towels before putting on the manifold.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear

doh?? I understand the concept, i may decide to take it on myself with the help of a friend that I have who has done some porting, between the two of us we may be able to figure it out. What kind of tool do you use for the porting, dremel?

Old 12-12-2006, 05:15 PM

you can use a dremel.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 AM
1st Gear

If you have a gasket that is matched to the intake manifold you can simply trace the new port shape onto the head with a permanent marker and skip the play-doh process.

Or you can match the gasket first and then trace. Then you simply grind away all the ink while maintaing a smooth transition in theintake runner. Ive used this method on a few small block V8 heads and it works fine.

A friend of mine at work just picked up a port-polish kit off the tool truck for $120 which may not be a bad idea for a better finish, but a die-grinder or dremel will do the job too.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:43 PM
3rd Gear

Anyone know what king of HP numbers this might give?

Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm make believe

just about anything you need to know http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2427472

Old 12-19-2006, 06:06 AM
3rd Gear

Will the 225's TB fit directly on this? Or is a adaptor plate needed?? What kind of hp numbers?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm make believe

tb will fit, also can be bought with a larger tb.

hp numbers vary, in the thread posted there is debate because you have to port out your head to a larger port (AEB) size and they also use a larger tb. All the moddifications all increase hp but how much from each is the question.

on a gt2871r they gained ~35whp with the port, tb, and manifold.

Quick Reply: APR High Flow Intake Manifold?