Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Beefing up rear suspension for extra weight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Default Beefing up rear suspension for extra weight?

I just put a sub in the rear of my TT and the extra weight of the sub and box has made my car squat a bit and the suspension creaks quite a bit even over the smallest of bumps. Now although the sub alone weighs 85lbs. and the box is pretty good sized I still think that I can do somethings to help this all out. Can anybody tell me if these springs would fit on our cars. http://www.mimousa.com/home.asp?dir=modellist&prod=813 The link doesn't change when the brand of car is selected but thankfully Audi is up close to the top so hopefully it woun't pain you guys to much to change that little bit. The description says A3 so I'm not sure if it they will fit on my 2000 180 FWD. I want to drop the car a little bit and these springs should do that about 1.6 inches, which I think is just about right. Is there any other things that I can do to help the suspension with the extra weight? Would replacing things like bushing help quiet the creaks and groans? Anything else you guys can think of would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
4th Gear

springs are going to lower your car even more...

Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 PM

I understand that springs are going lower the car and I do want that, however I don't want to put on a set of performance based springs that wont handle the extra weight of the stereo over time. I am talking close to if not over 200 extra pounds that the factory never intended for the car to lug around all the time. I just want the suspension to support the added weight and was wondering if there were any ideas that could help that goal.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
4th Gear

you have a 200lb sub? wow dude... haha im impressed..

anywho, springs will handle it, its like having a passenger... BUT, usually over time your shocks will start to wear out and eventually go out... at least that does happen but not always...

i would personally just skip the springs and go for coilovers... but thats just me..

if your looking for cheaper coilovers check out stratmospheres vmaxx's... i have them and love them, then there is all the way up to KW variant 3's and bilstein pss9's which are also preferred amongst members

Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 PM

no the sub itself weighs 85 lbs. box, amp, and woofer easily weigh 200lbs. These are my babies here
Name:  IMG_2781-1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  58.9 KB

Next to an RE8 woofer. I own the pair but for the TT I am just using one on a crunch groundpounder 3000-D as a temporary setup until i get the funds for the planned setup. More on that to come in another thread down the road. And they are 15s, the magnet alone is 12.75 inches across lol.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:18 PM
4th Gear

oh... oh my... so how many bottles of advil for headaches are in the glove box? haha...

anywho, youll be fine stock, just save up for coilovers if you want suspension

Old 09-15-2008, 01:07 AM

Thats overkill for a tt !!! but all spring and shocks will eventually sag !!! I'd go with a coil over kit then you could adust the front so its level ???

Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM

No such this as overkill in my world lol. As for the coilovers, thanks for the recommendations, I will look into them for sure. I will keep you all posted as I gather the parts for the setup that is planned for this car, rather then this temp one. Its going to be epic, of that I am sure!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

I would look into bags also. I think they are a little more expensive, but if you are putting something like that in you might be able to use the "on demand" stiffing and the ability to change ride height.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM

I have thought of that but i really no good place for the compressor and tank unless I start cutting out the spare tire well and flattening the bottom.

Quick Reply: Beefing up rear suspension for extra weight?