Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Boost Machine... no boost increase /:| .... [Fixed]

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default Boost Machine... no boost increase /:| .... [Fixed]

Ok, so my boost machine came today and I installed it. I did like the instructions said and zero'd out the regulator and bleed valves. I then set the regulator 3 turns to start (as per instructions) and drove it for a while. noticed no change so I turned ½ turn more. drove for a while. little to no change. This went on for about 40 miles. starting at 3 turns as directed... and working my way up to about 6 full turns, I'm barely hitting 20psi (I was at 19psi before the install) Am I doing something incorrectly? Ideas?

Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Boost Machine... no boost increase /:|

I was under the impression that a BM would regulate boost and onset.
Read here for more info.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL bob (from ouTTie914's link)

In setting the regulator (clockwise increases its set point) above the expected maximum boost and the relief valve at zero (completely CCW) we are operating without interference. As we reduce the regulator pressure (moving it CCW) we will find the point where the regulator takes over control from the N75 through restricting the pressure signal. A little bit lower (CCW) and we are "adding" boost. We're allowing the turbo into un-controlled space again. The turbo of course will attempt to boost well beyond its efficiency and as has been pointed out somewhere around 22-24 lbs is where the point of deminishing returns occurs.
He reports "adding" boost.

ORIGINAL Steve Schwing

Start tuning with the regulator (on the right facing the engine) using the chart below to keep track of your settings. (Pop the **** up if it is in the down and locked position) As a start, Rotate the valve 3 turns counterclockwise. Drive and observe boost. Make notes. Adjust ½ turn at a time counterclockwise until the boost starts to rise and you get the setting you want. (usually 4-5 turns total). GIAC chipped cars are a little more sensitive to adjustment and generally start having an impact at 5-5.5 turns.
Also refers to increasing boost

ORIGINAL Steve Schwing

Some of the latest GIAC programming is VERY aggressive with 25psi + Boost levels reported. Widely varying results have been reported. This is usually evident in flash programs. Sometimes a newer file with more appropriate boost levels is available. Check with your chip tuner. If GIAC boost remains high, the BM will only help control spiking and smoothness of boost delivery. It can ONLY adjust up, not down.
I understand that one of the main focuses of the BM is to control and condition the boost. However it is also used to increase the boost to the desired level prior to ever adjusting the onset. It says so in the instructions. However, I must be doing something incorrectly because it isn't responding as advertised. It's dark now. I'll have to fiddle with it again in the morning.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 PM
4th Gear

I wasn't trying to argue with you. Just thought that might of been helpful... guess not!
By the way a Manual Boost Controller will set your boost to a desired level as well... Which is probably why it's paired with a BM in Stage 3.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

?? Sorry, I didn't take it as a challenge. Im just kind of frustrated (long day at work.)
Are you sure theres a MBC in stage 3 modshack??
Im pretty sure modshack stage 3 consists of VTDA or TTDA, **** w/ 4bar FPR, and a Boost Machine. (Boost Mahine acting as the MBC)
I could be wrong... but I think the BM is the MBC

Old 05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

Maybe I should fully wake up before posting.... : /

Clicky

Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Keep turning, I didn't get anything on my stock 11psi car until 5 clicks, I haven't went up anymore though, will be shortly

Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm make believe

This is funny. Ask me how long it took me to install my boost controller.....LOL.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

i've had mine installed on my TTQC 180 for about a month now. took me a total of about 6-8 3rd gear runs to get it dialed in to where i'm comfortable. right now i've got about 6 turns counter clockwise for boost and 2 turns clockwise for onset, and i hit 20psi in 3rd till about maybe 5400-5600 rpms drop to 18 psi and hold. in 4th and 5th i peak at 21-22psi and drop and hold 18.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

So I emailed Steve Schwing and told him the issue. Turns out, I'm just an idiot. He told me I probably just hadn't hit the point where the BM kicks in, turn it up one more turn.

I turned it up one more turn, hopped in, and abracadabra... Boost jumped to a steady 22psi. ½ turn later... 25 psi steady... spiking to 27psi. Obviously it was too much so I dialed it down a bit. ¼ turn back and 2½ turns on the bleed side and its smooth sailing up to 24psi with no spike, just 24psi all the way to 5800 RMP. Then it tapers off.

I'm still kind of fiddling with it alot and will probably reconfigure my DV spring and shims. I like it.

Quick Reply: Boost Machine... no boost increase /:| .... [Fixed]