Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

brake preference

Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 AM
1st Gear
Default brake preference

ok, i've ordered all 4 corners of brembo slotted rotors and hp plus pads for all 4 corners which were OEM replacements no BBK yet. from your experience what is your feed back from what you're currently running, or have run in the past? do you track out your TT or strictly street? i've done research and have kept in close contact with elitepro and my brother who is a walking bentley for the VAG. his suggestion since he and i race were what i had ordered. i just wanted to know what the consensus was out there. i was also informed about zimmermans but i'm not so keen on drilled rotors hence why i didn't order the drilled brembos. anyway TIA

Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: brake preference

I have drilled zimmermen's. I like them; however, I never have anything else to compare them to.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

Hey--glad to hear about other TT owners that track their cars.

I have EBC black dash slotted. They don't really have a weight advantage over stock, but I've had fade before at the track (another car) and thought I would take out the pad gassing possibility all together.

Last year, I ran the track & street with HPS all around. The fronts burned up so this year, I'll run Pagid Orange front on track (Hawk Ceramic for street). For rear, I just put on Hawk HP+. They squeak quite a bit, but should be a better match for track. Not sure if I'll run the HP+ on the street full time yet. Don't know if my wife will take the squealing.

BTW, what tires are you going to run?

Old 03-30-2008, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Cool; thanks for the replies. I have a set of R-compounds to auto-x/circuit-x with. As of now I just have everything stock besides the rear sway. I had auto-x'd my TT completely stock to have a good basis for what to do and when. Rear sway was my first, brakes and rotors are now (should be in by this coming wed), koni shocks following that. I'm not planning to drop my TT more than 1.5" since with the Rs, the impeccable cornering ability of the car would diminish. How bad do your HP+ pads squeak? Unbearable or bearable?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

They're bearable if the windows are up. Keep in mind, I only have rear HP+ on now...and it's noticeable. All 4 of course will be a different story.

I say put em on and see how you tolerate the noise. Personally, I embrace the noise, knowing that I can stop quickly if I need to. (Performance over appearance any day for me)

btw, I have heard that the max drop on koni coilovers is 1.78 inches or so. Not sure if it's different for different suspension setups. Opinions?

Also, why do you say dropping over 1.5" w/ R compounds will hurt the cornering?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear

I've got a Brembo BBK kit on my fronts.. still stock setup in the rear...

Street Pads

Front: Hawk HPS Rear: Hawk HPS

Track Pads

Front: Hawk HT-10 Rear: Hawk HPS

Since 80% of the braking on the TT is done with the fronts there isn't a tremendous need for me to do any upgrade to the rear brake setup.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

xclr8tt--on track, i'm assuming you don't notice a negative bias from front to rear. I mean, does the back end get squirrely under heavy braking b/c of the friction difference in front to rear pads?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm make believe

the rears will only cause trouble with them being extremly smaller than larger than the fronts.

I run wilwood bbk with 2 peice plain rotors. My car is all street and they work great, even with a more track ready, high temp pads.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear

None whatsoever. The rears won't build up enough heat in them to make the HT-10 effective and would probably just eat up the rotors. The HPS pad is still a decent track pad. I used to run them at the track on all 4 corners but as my lap times picked up I started to get some serious fade (as in No BRAAAAAAKKKKEEEESSSS!!!!) going into a low speed corner at the end of the straight.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

My experience was the same with HPS on track...too much fade after getting quick.

That is THE most uncomfortable feeling in a car. No more for me. Hence the switch out of pads for track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake preference