Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Can this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Default Can this happen?

SO i haven't been around here much since i have been working a lot lately. I took the car into the shop for some minor things but they told me I need a new battery. The thing is I have had a lot of cranking issues, it cranks and cranks but takes 4-5times to turn over, then smoke comes out and smells like egg shells ! They looked it over and said the battery was losing voltage. I know this can happen but would it still give me the results I am having ?
If this is the issue then what battery am I looking at?
I am need of changing the spark plugs and for a stock car I found that the NGK BKR6E seems to be the best? I think when I changed them last time someone told me of another plug that might last a little longer than the NGK's.. anyone know of one for me?

thanks everyone

Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM
5th Gear

BR6ES is what I used to run in my 1980 Suzuki RM80 when i was a kid. When I fouled them out, I'd sandblast them clean and reuse them. Always carried a couple with me when i was riding... was always fouling out plugs. I may have been pre-mixing a little on the oily side....

NGK PFR6Q
or
Denso Iridium IK20 (or 22 if you need a slightly colder plug)

More money, but lasts longer being that they're precious metals. But you wanted longer lasting.

Just stay away from the autolites, those things kill cars.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by achTTung

Just stay away from the autolites, those things kill cars.
Proof? And i dont mean show me that youtube vid of the people running way to hot of a plug and it melting. I have used them in a pinch a couple times and the work fine

Old 06-14-2009, 01:10 PM
5th Gear

Cars may not blow up, but that doesn't make them good plugs.

straight to the tex for like minded quotes...

On plugs that are plated (i.e., pretty much every plug except the crappy Autolites) you don't need anti-seize. Yet another reason not to use Autolites.

everybody should know better than to use autolites.

I was working on my yellow project G60 tonight. I found out after replacing the piece of crap "Autolite" brand plugs that it came with, what a difference having the OEM bosch Platinum plugs in it makes.

So, on with Bosch cap and rotor, tossed some crappy Autolite coppers in (I should end up getting Bosch Silvers at some point)

its not just plugs-
Glow plugs and T-belt were replaced by PO.. But he did use Autolite crap glow plugs... Here's what I've done/checked so far..

Point is, theres better plugs to be using than autolites. End of discussion.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm make believe

LOL, ok then... Think its just becaue it has nascar on the box. Ended up using them atleast 2x and nothing bad happened or noticable change in performance. Think people like belive what they will.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 AM

ok so if I got the NGK PFR6Q, these would be good for a stock car and wanting to last a little longer than normal plugs? Is there any performance gain from the NGK BKR6E's or just longer life ?
How long should i expect to get out of these plugs?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm make believe

those are stock plugs. There is no gain, just will last 20-30k miles

Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM

sorry for my ignorance, are you saying that PFR6Q's are stock or the BKR6E's are stock.. or both?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm make believe

from ecs

OEM Stock replacement-The recommended spark plug for your 1.8T for all performance modifications except are larger turbo kit-If you have a APR Stage III turbo kit you must order the appropriate spark plugs for that specific kit

Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 AM
5th Gear

The BKR's are copper core, the PFR's are iridium.

I THINK the cars come with iridium plugs as OEM. Copper core is cheaper, but wear faster, so you'll be buying them more often. Iridium is more expensive, but lasts longer.

I don't think theres any way to actually feel a difference between them as long as they're in good condition, but the design behind the iridium plugs is 'fine wire' technology, which is supposed to provide a better spark.

But you probably won't notice.

Quick Reply: Can this happen?