Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Car Shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Car Shuddering

I have a 2000 Audi TT FWD, the 180 variety, and ever since I've owned it, the car seems like it surges under heavy throttle over 3K RPMs, typically in higher than 2nd gear.

2 days ago I got a Revo chip in my TT by a local exotic car dealer, and I was ecstatic with the performance, until I gave it some gas and it hit peak boost, then all hell broke loose. The car started to shudder like it was detonating and I heard something venting gas on off on off rapidly from my engine and the check engine light came on. Houston we have a problem indeed. The CEL blinked, but eventually turned off. It does the shimmy and shake whenever I give it a little over 1/4 throttle and it happens around 3K RPMs. The dealorship says it's either a boost leak or a misfire.

All in all, what do you guys think it could be?

Thanks fellas

Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Plugs and/or coilpack is my bet (causing the misfire). You could also probably use a new DV. Getting chipped will shake out all the "marginal" components in your car, as it stresses all the systems MUCH more than the stock configuration did.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2 month old Forge DV in it. What spark plugs do you guys recommend?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

I haved this happen to me a couple days ago. I cleaned the Maf, replaced the spark plugs. cleared the codes AND also fixed a massive boost leak on my lower intercooler inlet. It had blown off. I did find alot of oil there, I dont think that was too good. I would describe it as a large quantity of oil

Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear

Change and regap correctly (important!) the spark plugs, then if that doesen't work change out or test the coil packs.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM

The samething happens tomy car but im not chipped, i changed my plugs, coils, fuel filter, cleaned my MAF, and DV, checked all the tubing for leaks and still acts werid....

Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

Well, I cleaned the MAF sensor to no avail, and according to records the plugs were changed 2 months ago when I had it serviced... If there was a leak in the piping, where would it likely be?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 AM
5th Gear

could be anywhere, you can't leave out vacuum lines, they're not always under vacuum.

buy/build a pressure tester. Its easy to do. Model it after the one on www.modshack.info, or google it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

K guys, I got it on an OBD2 reader and I got a Cylinder #2 Misfire. Which is good news I guess. Getting a new Coil Pack and plugs, i'll keep you guys posted...

Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Just because your plugs are new does NOT mean they are gapped correctly. At least check #2 when you do the coilpack, as you will be 90% of the way there anyway. A large gap will cause the coilpack to misfire earlier. If it is a large gap, and you close it in to the right gap, the coilpack will work again.

Quick Reply: Car Shuddering