Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Climate control problem

So, I have a 2001 225. I just bought an aftermarket radio and went to install it a couple weeks ago. This was before I read that you need to actually pull power from the area in the lower dash, so I was just pulling power off the stock harness with the adapter that Metra makes.

Long story short, after I had everything ready I reconnected the negative battery terminal, I was holding the new head unit and had the connections twisted and taped for testing purposes, and pulled a little bit too far and the power connection came loose and sparked on the metal posts on the side of the center console. The climate control lit up when this happened.

So now, my climate control doesn't work; it won't turn on. It illuminates fine with the lights on. I replaced the #3 5a fuse (which I think is just for the lights, but I wanted to be sure), and the #25 25a fuse in the cabin fuse box. Then I ordered another used climate control from LKQ with the same part #, and I'm still getting nothing.

Also, I had my stock radio back in and it wouldn't shut off with the car anymore, I had to turn it off manually. Definitely related to the sparking incident, but dunno if it's related to the climate control.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Would running power manually be a good idea, or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by philcoolguy
So, I have a 2001 225. I just bought an aftermarket radio and went to install it a couple weeks ago. This was before I read that you need to actually pull power from the area in the lower dash, so I was just pulling power off the stock harness with the adapter that Metra makes.

Long story short, after I had everything ready I reconnected the negative battery terminal, I was holding the new head unit and had the connections twisted and taped for testing purposes, and pulled a little bit too far and the power connection came loose and sparked on the metal posts on the side of the center console. The climate control lit up when this happened.

So now, my climate control doesn't work; it won't turn on. It illuminates fine with the lights on. I replaced the #3 5a fuse (which I think is just for the lights, but I wanted to be sure), and the #25 25a fuse in the cabin fuse box. Then I ordered another used climate control from LKQ with the same part #, and I'm still getting nothing.

Also, I had my stock radio back in and it wouldn't shut off with the car anymore, I had to turn it off manually. Definitely related to the sparking incident, but dunno if it's related to the climate control.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Would running power manually be a good idea, or something like that?

Thanks in advance!
Hey there I'm having the same problem with my Audi TT 2001.
I jumped the AC pressure sensor with a papper clip to check if that would make my compressor clutch run and after that no power on the climate control unit!!, seems to be death and having the same exact issue with the radio will only turn off manually! I'm hoping you found out the fix for this before I dole out some of my hard earned Dollars to the stealership!!
thanks for your advise any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

Any luck with this I'm getting an after market radio put in by a stereo store in the next few weeks and don't want this problem to occur any thing i should let them know about this ?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Any Fix?

I did the same exact thing with a new radio install and and the climate control just stopped coming on and the interior fans dont work either. I haven't noticed if the radiator and ac fans stopped working either but I will look into that. Fuses are all good... I am a bit lost. There was another thread stating that there was a small fuse box behind the climate control but I havent taken the center dash apart to inspect. Here is the link:

After a short,: no power to radio, climate control.. - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

And updates would be nice

Thanks