Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

cold start blues... stall stall stall start. ;-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Default cold start blues... stall stall stall start. ;-(

I just can't seem to kick this one, and it's getting worse. It used to only stall 1 time and then start right up. Now, it fails to start 3-4 times. On crank number 2-3 it will crank and start, but it runs like it is missing, and eventually dies. It does that 1 more time, but it will either rev up and stay going, or it starts perfectly the next try.

Basically, the car fails to start 3 first thing in the morning, or after it has been sitting for 10 hour stints (i notice it mostly in the morning or at night when it is colder). I just moved and can't seem to find the vag-com cable, so maybe you guys have some other ideas...

I've tried Techron, new plugs, unplugging the MAF, etc. I have new O2 sensors, and a newer MAF. I also have an MBC and mushroom air filter. I am at 19hg vac and it boosts correctly.

180QC AWP Engine.

Would a dying battery cause this?
Would a bad 2ndary Air pump? (I do not have the loud whine).

I do have a problem with my valve cover gasket and the new one is on the way. (would this cause that problem?) (also do I need any type of gasket sealant for that gasket when i put it on?)

** I'll update with codes when i find my cable. I dug around through some past threads and noticed some similar posts and even a post from a guy also in michigan... PM'd all of them, but no feedback yet as to what they did to fix it, or how much they paid. ;-(

Last edited by chosos; 09-11-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
4th Gear

check your coolant temp sensor... sometimes is the culprit with cold starts...

if you dont already, you should probably get the green one from ecs

Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

whoops, i forgot to put that up top. i swapped out the CTS about 5 months ago. it starts eventually - every time so far... but well, its getting annoying. =/

you and i... we have some awesome luck with our cars. i dont think mine has ever actually been 100% since I bought it. I knew I shoulda bought that 350z. stupid michigan for having snow in the winter!

Last edited by chosos; 09-11-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
5th Gear

ive just come to accept my car won't start on the first try if its cold. I haven't had an issue with multiple stalls. This goes for BOTH TT's i've owned.

I have an intermittant code for the O2 sensor on this car, but was relatively code free on the other one. Temp sensor changed on the old one, not on the newer one, fuel filter changed, techron... yeah, i've run out of ideas too.

I noticed its more likely to happen if the car has around a 1/4 tank or less. Since my fuel gauge doesn't work, thats my indicator that I need to calculate milage to see how many gallons I have before I need to refuel.

when life gives you lemons.....

Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Does your sputter and whatnot, or just not start the first try?

I can't seem to pinpoint this. I had o2 codes, but once I put the spacers on, they went away. I tried new plugs, and have new coil packs.

I guess the wiring harness could be bad, but i'm sure redoing that is a serious PITA. I still have the old FPR, and injectors, so maybe that is the problem? My battery also had some corrosion, so I guess it could be the culprit...

I was getting an intermittent start blocked by immobilizer code, and from a quick search, that code could be battery related.

sigh.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
4th Gear

well just look at the bright side... it starts. lol

mine gives me problems in the cold too... makes me wonder if germany's tt's will have the same problem, never heard someone from out of the US with this issue

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to bring an old thread up, but i am having the exact same problem. a little while ago on a cold start it would sputter and almost stall then be ok after like 5 secs. now on cold starts it would stall on the first start up then fire right up on the second.
anyone resolve this?
180 tt quattro with 29k.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

For me, this was a failing MAF - i had my EPC light turn on too, eventually. Turns out, I had a spare MAF that I had replaced, thinking it was bad. Go figure!

Bringing up old threads is fine by me. I wish more ppl would post the fixes for the problems they had in threads. Hopefully my troubles help someone else.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chosos
For me, this was a failing MAF - i had my EPC light turn on too, eventually. Turns out, I had a spare MAF that I had replaced, thinking it was bad. Go figure!

Bringing up old threads is fine by me. I wish more ppl would post the fixes for the problems they had in threads. Hopefully my troubles help someone else.
other than not starting on the first shot what are other symptoms of a failing MAF. My brother has a 1.8t jetta should i try his MAF. Both our cars are AWP

Old 11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

Most of the time it's because your oil isn't warm yet.

Quick Reply: cold start blues... stall stall stall start. ;-(