Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Cold Starting - Sputter and stall

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Cold Starting - Sputter and stall

Hey all,

Did some searching, and found that this is a somewhat common problem, but did not find a common answer...

On cold mornings or basically anytime the car sits for more than 10 hours...

I'll go to start it. On the first try, it sputters horribly and then stalls. Usually the second try it'll start up normal...if it's really cold a third try is in order.

Since this has been happening I have replaced the temp sensor & t stat, cleaned the TB & MAF, replaced the fuel filter (ran injector cleaner first), checked for vaccum leaks (none present!).

With that being said...When I first bought the car, my plans were to do a full tune up before mods. So I had the oil changed, and I replaced the air filter and spark plugs. After replacing well worn spark plugs (with NGK irodium? I think), my number 1 and 2 coil packs kept "popping" up (old push in design)...I have since strapped them down...But as I was pondering my start up problem, I started to think...I bought this car in early march with snow on the ground and tons of cold weather and I don't recall ever having a starting problem...I didn't change the plugs until the snow melted, we'll say mid to end of march.

Is it possible with the coil packs "popping" up that I ruined them and my plugs and that's causing my starting problem??

I'm sorry for the long posts (all mine are it seems) but I just figured this to be a fuel problem until I did some pondering...TIA

(ps - free beer and dinner to anyone near youngstown ohio that'll help with a VAG-COM...the locals on the locator list never replied )

Old 05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Default RE: Cold Starting - Sputter and stall

things to check

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/2BC7F6A3C4864137AAE7F2660E0DDF51.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

I've got the same problem but mine started after doing the timing change. Due to a lack of time I didn't replace the pulley on the alternator but I'm hoping that it might help to resolve the issue, somehow. I did notice that it doesn't completely stall if the AC/Heat is off.

Earlier this year I too changed coils, plugs, and put in a drop in K&N. Since I've tried every fuel additive, changed to a Forge DV, cleaned the MAFS, and run VAG almost constantly.

The timing included the belt, light weight pulleys, lower temp therm, oil change, and radiator flush.

I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow for them to do the last pulley and replace some bushings (non related I know).

Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 PM
gTT
1st Gear

check the battery's acid water. tighten the (+) and (-) cable.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: gTT

check the battery's acid water. tighten the (+) and (-) cable.
+1 I was also thinking this. Believe it or not the level is supposed to be checked at regular service intervals.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

I thought all recent batteries were maintenance-free??? Another German thing?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

when you turn the key, wait until the service msg on the display goes off, then try starting it. The fuel pump has to kick in. Thats what I was told, and it fixed the problem for me. try it.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 PM
5th Gear

Last maintenance required battery I touched was for a quad. Can't remember the last time I had a battery that required water top offs.

Try turning the key to on, waiting a second, and then starting it. I have this problem if the cars been sitting a long time, or its cold, or my tank is near empty, and although it doesn't fix the problem, giving the fuel pump a chance to re-pressurize the system seems to help. Its like it starves on the first crank.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

I'll try that tonight when I leave work. So then my question is why would it start up all of a sudden? Should I look into the FPR?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Todays update...

Waited for the gauge cluster's "OK" light to turn out, then started, no problem.

However, it was about 67* this morning, the warmest in a while...So I'm not yet convinced, but will surely try again.

I'm not fully convinced because I never waited for it before and it would work fine.

I had a run around with my temp sensor, I put in a new one, threw the same code due to the t-stat. never really sure which one was good, so I switched back to the old to do some problem solving...Now I'll put the new one back in.

I also think I will replace my MAF...no CEL, but the car just doesn't seem as fast as I thought it would be...and sometimes it's really fast, where as other days (cooler weather) it's seems slow.

I love this car...when it works right

THanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Cold Starting - Sputter and stall