Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Dead alternator (assumption)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Dead alternator (assumption)

Hi all:

I'm brand new here - even though I have found some great info on this site over the past 2 years since I bought my TT.

The other day while driving, the battery light came on, and within a few minutes, the gauges went "haywire" and the car just died. The AAA tow truck driver said it definitely sounds like it's the alternator. The lights, power locks, alarm will work, but the engine won't turn over.

My neighbor is a mechanic (he hasn't had a chance to look at it yet) - and he has done some work on the car for me before (front brakes and a couple oil changes) - so I trust him . Is there any real reason that I shouldn't buy a reconditioned part (with a warranty) or a less expensive part from a local auto parts store? I have seen prices for an alternator for this car anywhere from $100-$500+. Also - how many hours of labor should this take? (Of course - all assuming it IS the alternator).

Thanks in advance for any insights and advice!
KiminFL