Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Deal or no deal on a high mileage '01 TT Coupe ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Question Deal or no deal on a high mileage '01 TT Coupe ?

*Newbie* here to the Audi world - 1st post. My past includes owning Corvettes, classics, a jaguar, and a mercedes coupe & suv.

The car for sale in my local area is only $3500 for an '01 TT Quattro Coupe 225 car.

Most everything works, but here's the bad:

*180k miles on it
*Pixels missing on center dash readout
*interior sound panels on rear deck lid came off (broken clips ?)
*moderate wear to tires (18" aftermarket) but does come with 17" oem's
*headlight washers don't work - pump is out
*timing belt & water pump last changed at 120k
*alternator has been replaced twice (bad clutches)
*Glove box latch broken

Is this car on it's last leg ? It drove great and the handling is like that of a car with half this mileage.

Any input appreciated.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

Oops, I forgot to mention that the 'fuel gauge' doesn't work.

Front CV joints were replaced in the 120k-130k range.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

it could be a good deal. pixels in the display and gas gauge not functioning could be fixed by sending your instrument cluster out for repair, i think around 350$. search the forum for that issue. it could also be the sending unit on the fuel pump too.
you can replace the headlight washer pump.i had to change my ww pump and i got it at autozone. it's in the driver's side fender well. if you're handy you can probably figure out how to fix the glovebox. i broke mine and had to fix it. timing belt/waterpump are due. i'm getting ready to do mine. i'm going to do it myself, but it's not cheap. you can get a kit from ecs tuning for about 285$ i'm also going to change the oil pump and drive chain, camshaft chain and tensioner, and all the cooling, induction and breather hoses. kits are available from Ramair filters on ebay out of Great Britain. Their SFS silicone hose like looks great and i've ordered all the hoses from them.
Good Luck!
btw, i'll be starting a thread with pics and what i've learned while doing this project starting in about 3 or 4 weeks, as soon as the parts arrive from GB.
tom

Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Clrwatrtom
btw, i'll be starting a thread with pics and what i've learned while doing this project starting in about 3 or 4 weeks, as soon as the parts arrive from GB.
tom
Awesome, I'll be sure to check that out.

Meanwhile, I bought the Quattro and it's doing well. The next day after purchase I had a check engine light. After running the codes, it was a P0411 for the secondary air pump. Then I inspected that area around the pump and found a portion of wiring harness that was rubbing against the fan ! This wire has a connection into the primary pump and not sure where it goes from there but I did fix the wire so both positive & negative strands have connection. Then I taped them up and tied them out of the way.

After clearing the code, it hasn't popped up since. So far it appears to have been solved.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

i wish i got a deal like that i paid 2600 (including 150 mile shipping) for my 2000 tt fwd and it had quit a few more issues then that ecu, 125$ power steering 266$ cat and exhaust 800$ (upgraded) i got pixels but gauges work head lights need replacing hazy and cracked my o2 sensor and cam sensor have no communication and brakes are stiff and cause the engine to sound like its dieing when u press the brake pedal at idle so far it was worth the cost though clean interior new tires but rims are beat

Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Arrow

Well, now that you mention it, my headlight covers are a little fogged up and need polishing or replacement but they still work great during night driving. I just got my Audi back from the shop last week for the timing belt & wp change. They also replaced the serpentine belt, changed the oil, and replaced my air intake boot. The boot was cracking and deteriorating in at the ends and had an accessory inlet/outlet broken off. It wasn't cheap but I now have piece of mind and the total bill was $1477.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

thats wild man im stuck with trying to figure out why my ecu has no communication with my cam sensor or upstream o2 sensor and the worst part is u can replace the parts if they dont fix the problem but check out replacement lights on ebay u can get good cheep replacements i co own a shop in ct and we get a couple people who buy there lights from ebay there all the same company but a large range of prices just replace the whole assembly...any ideas on what could be causing
these issues for me though too?