Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

DynaMat & Fiberglass Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM
2nd Gear
Default DynaMat & Fiberglass Question

1st - Has anyone done a full compliment of Dynamat in a TT before?

As some of you know... I usually do all my own audio/video/alarm installs... but had to resort to having a professional job done on the TT 2 yrs ago that ended up being a nightmare (totally botched everything and I've had to redo it all myself since)
Anyhow... The Dynamat job is no different (totally fukced up) and Im going to do it all over again.

Aside from sound "deadening" and road noise reduction... the largest part of a sound deadening job is increasing the Acoustic properties of the vehicle's passenger compartment (car interiors aren't the best setting for audio dynamics); but this can be easily corrected by the correct use of sound deadening material.

The problem is that I'm really unsure at this point how much I'll need and prefer not to be wasteful if I can help it. Now if you go with Dynamat™ brand material... you have to buy it in very specific sizes (ie 25 ft², 36 ft²), but if you go with one of the 6-7 types of eDead material from Elemental Designs, you can order your material to your specific size anywhere from 1 ft² to 1,000,000 ft² (thats a big car lol)

Anywho... I'll be usingeDead v1SE²in conjunction witheDead v3
on this project and need any type of quantity references I can get from people that have done this.

I will be doing a full up application on both doors, the entire trunk area (with side walls), and the entire floor (seats/carpet will be removed, deadening applied, and carpet/seats reinstalled).

If anyone has a rough or exact estimate of the xft² for this vehicle... let me know.

2nd - Im looking for an online vendor for Fiberglass cloth and resin for vehicle interior use. Preferably an S-Glass, E-Glass, or Carbon Fiber.
I need something that is easily sandable, strong, and light weight. I have some special projects that I will be starting here soon and will need to order some fiberglass materials soon.

The first stage of the project will involve a bisquene plastic drop cloth and a few layers of resin and cloth for an initial fitment mold; the second and third stages will happen in my house/workshop once I have the initial mold complete.

So yea.. if anyone knows of a good online vendor for fiberglass materials... give me a heads up. Also... it would be great if they shipped to APO addresses.