Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

ESP and Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Default ESP and Starting Problem

hey everyone,

I have a 2001 Audi TT Quattro, the 180hp edition.

Yesterday, for the first time, my engine didn't completely start on the first try. I heard it try to turn over, and it sounded like it was going to start, but then just died out. It started with ease on the second try, but I noticed my ESP light was now on, and staying on. I tried turning my car off and on, maybe 3 times, and the light wouldn't go out. I had to run some errands, so I did, and when I got back in my car and started it, the light was out.... weird.

Basically, the same thing happened again today.

I have read the user manual and it says that the ESP light should turn on then off roughly 2 seconds after starting your car, and if it doesn't turn off then you should turn your car off and then back on again. If the light still remains on, the user manual says that this means the ESP system if off or malfunctioning. I understand that the ESP works in conjuction with the ABS, but I have never seen the ABS warning light on, so it is unlikely there is a problem here. I have read other forums with people having the same ESP problems and people suggested to these people taht they might have a problem with their MAF, a brake sensor, or fuse #9 (whatever that is). The only thing that is different between me and these people is that they weren't saying anything about having problems starting their car. It seems like I only have this problem is my engine is completely cool (has been off for hours and hours), and I also have maybe a quarter tank of gas, if this matters at all. Also, I recenlty had an oil change, but it's probably unlikely this has anything to do with my problem. Lately, there has also been a loud humming noise occasionally when I am in first or second gear and slowing down to a stop. Sometimes if I am sitting in neutral at a light or have the clutch in ready to make a turn from a stop I also hear this humming sound. The sound is nonexistent once I get over like 15 mph, but it's really weird.

I know I typed a lengthy post, but I'm just trying to give as many details as possible to increase the chances of finding the correct root of the problem. I really don't know much about cards

Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Default RE: ESP and Starting Problem

have it checked for fault codes then post them here

Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Ihad similar problems before i moded mine agree we need the codes to properly diagnose

Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 PM

I agree.. read codes.

but..

I put $5 on the fact that you need a new MAF.