Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Few questions about an Audi TT Coupe or A4 Cab. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Few questions about an Audi TT Coupe or A4 Cab. Please help!

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting an Audi TT coupe or an A4 Cabriolet. My budget limits me in what I can get, in terms of being a newer car, but that might be not be an issue.

I heard that several years will have issues, such as the 2000-2001 TT coupe has handling issues etc.. What would you say is the best year to shoot for. I'm really looking for no more than 10k so please do keep that in mind as well.
I'm currently living in Arizona, where I will be for about a year before going to Hawaii. Now this is where it's a toss up. I'll be on the big island for a year or so (which means a bit of driving) or I'm going straight to UH and living on campus (which means little to no driving). Given this, which do you think best for my situation? To give perspective now, I only drive 9k miles a year right now, so I don't drive much.

I understand they can be expensive to maintain, but how much can I reliably do on my own? I have little to no car knowledge, with the exception of basic car stuff (oil, fluids, and that's about it). I can learn though, and am quite good at following a guide. (Right after I typed this I just saw a DIY guide on the right, so I could follow that!)

Anything that I should look out for when I go to purchase? Of course rust damage, but what about sounds? Handling? When I look under the hood, what I should be looking for, outside of it being clean?

That's really my only questions, but major emphasis on question 1.
I really appreciate you guys helping me out! It's been my dream since I was a kid to own a TT coupe. Love that car so much.
All the best!

I really should also note, that I'll be buying used. I know I made it somewhat clear given my budget, but I want to make sure I say it. So sorry if this isn't the right subforum. New here and just made the account and looking for help.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

Might be a little late but I have a 2000 Audi TT coupe and I must say I LOVE it. It has been very good to me over the past year. With your situation the TT's small size makes it easy to find parking and also gets excellent fuel economy. I would personally opt. for the TT. I have had one issue with my car. A wiring issue. It ended up being $400 to fix but works amazing now. My car has 40,000 miles on it now and a clean title. I picked it up for $8,900. $10,000 with tax tags and title fees. As far as the maint. goes, don't even attempt it. I am a somewhat skilled mechanic (3 years of auto shop, I'm in high school) but I don't even try with this car. Leave it to the professionals if the car was old, big, and stupid (not a lot of computers) I would say go for it but I wouldn't wanna risk F***ing it up.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

A late reply is better than none my friend!

Thanks a bunch for the help. I'm pretty much convinced I'm gonna go to with the TT over the A4. I've read the A4 recently had a class action lawsuit against it as well, over engine problems, so I'm going to stay away from that.

If I may ask, how long have you had the car for, and how many miles did it have when you first got it?

Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

I got it about a year ago with 32,000 miles. Has 43,000 now. Loved it every step of the way. Minor complaints are the cup holders, they sit to far back behind you. And the windows are to narrow. Hard to get anything threw the window like say, fast food. But the pros far out weigh the cons. Most comfortable car to drive and I test drove Jags, Cadillacs and Lincoln's. The seats are amazing and so is the Bose sound system.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Hm ok. Awesome. I'm thinking I'm gonna do it now. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Awesome dude! I am excited for you! When you pick one up or are interested in one post it here! I would love to see it!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

Dont do it!! If the words "limited budget" are in your vocabulary, the TT or any Audi is not for you. I only say this because I have had mine for 6 years, and have spent a **** load of money on my car. And not all performance mods. If you are on a fixed/limited budget, the TT will bleed you dry!

The saying
"You dont own a TT, you support it."

BTW this website is DEAD. If you want a more active TT community get on Vortex.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, he is kinda right. You either get really lucky with these cars or really, really, really unlucky. That is why you should always have it checked by a mechanic. And keep a grand or two in the bank, cuz you never know. Maybe an Acura or Lexus would be more reliable.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

What about BMW or something of the sort? Otherwise, I think I might just keep my fiesta and wait until later.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by elfintt
What about BMW or something of the sort? Otherwise, I think I might just keep my fiesta and wait until later.
A BMW wouldn't be a whole lot better, it's German cars that are cool, Asian cars that are reliable and, All there others cars are somewhere in the middle. German cars are not great about reliability and there is something to be said about cost of repairs.

Quick Reply: Few questions about an Audi TT Coupe or A4 Cab. Please help!