Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

FMIC .. .which one is good and how?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:33 AM
1st Gear
Default FMIC .. .which one is good and how?

Hey guys,

I got some money from my job .. finally my paycheck! I want to get a FMIC for my car but before i do i dont want to make a mistake.. .which one is good and where do i get it... also is it simple to install at home ?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: FMIC .. .which one is good and how?

FMIC is a very simple install. you have to remove the bumper, but the bumper is very easy to remove. I can usually get it off in about 5-20 minutes now.

the three big brands that sell them are Forge, APR, and tCarbon. tCarbon being the least big of the three big brands. I have the tcarbon one and I'm very satisfied.

www.goAPR.com has the APR one.
www.ECStuning.com has the Forge one AND the APR one.
www.tcarbon.com has the tCarbon one. the forge is the most expensive and probably the highest quality of the three.
The APR looks like it would be the heaviest because I believe its made of cast.
The tcarbon is not quite as wide as the other two, however its thicker and even though its not as wide... the opening in the front bumper isn't wide enough for the other two to get direct airflow on the entire FMIC anyway.

However, not getting direct airflow on the whole FMIC won't make a huge difference. if you're not planning on getting a big turbo setup in the future, you won't need anything more than the tcarbon one (its about half the price of the other two). If you do plan on going big turbo... then you should look into what you plan on doing in the future.

I am doing a big turbo upgrade later and I probably wont change to a different FMIC unless I absolutely have to. I love my tCarbon one.

Just my two cents.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

Im not really planning for a turbo upgrade.. the only thing that im doing right now (on order) is a manual boost controller, diode, boost guage, 4 bar FPR (cincyTT's thread). And I also have other non engine things that im doing like pulleys and lowering the car... Im sorry this is a stupid question but what is a Modshack STAGE 3??

Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 AM
1st Gear

This weekend I am putting on my Forgemotorsport FMIC for my 180hp TT I will take pictures and post them so maybe you will get an idea of how that goes. You will have neur0tic's post on his tcarbon FMIC install aswell. I'll let you know how my install works out.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 AM
1st Gear

can you keep the SMICs on with the FMIC at all? is it just a waste?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:16 AM
3rd Gear

You can but its just going to be harder for your turbo to push boost thru all three. FMIC is the best way to go and you will get the most cooling with just that.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:18 AM
2nd Gear

I won't say it's impossible, but you wouldn't leave the SMICs on with the FMIC.

modshack is a website owned and operated by a guy named steve. they have one of the best instakes you can get for the TT (stage 1), the **** which is an upgraded Mas Air Flow sensor housing (stage 2 when you have both), and the Boost Machine which is a pneumatic manual boost controller (stage 3 when you have all 3) the website is www.modshack.info

Like zero388 said, you can look at the different FMIC installs and determine which is best for you.
Here'sa link to my tCarbon FMIC Install:
https://www.audiforums.com/m_582081/tm.htm

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: zero388

This weekend I am putting on my Forgemotorsport FMIC for my 180hp TT I will take pictures and post them so maybe you will get an idea of how that goes. You will have neur0tic's post on his tcarbon FMIC install aswell. I'll let you know how my install works out.
Hey thanks man that would be really nice ...

and thanks neur0tic for your help, i felt stupid because i would read everyone's signature and it would say modshack stage 3 and i would always want one .

The FMIC install doesnt look THAT hard but ...hmm i gess i will have to study the pictures .. but alot of help thanks!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 AM
SoCal Crew Member

^ modshack stage 1 is what really matters anyhow

Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

Aside from my FMIC... my Modshack Boost Machine was my best mod thus far in my opinion. Not just because it ups your boost... but it totally smooths out your boost too. That and you can control the onset of the boost. I would imagine most MBCs do that... but I like the setup and I think it looks cool too. haha.
took 3½ minutes to install and once I figured out how to set it... it took about 20 minutes to get 25 psi steady (i dont run 25 psi now. its pointless), but it definitely made the boost alot more predictable and less spikey.
I put "Modshack Stage 3" on my sig... but that's not completely accurate. I still don't have the **** in yet. Im not sure what you'd call just the VTDA and BM. Modshack Stage 1³?

Quick Reply: FMIC .. .which one is good and how?