Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

front bumper removal trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:40 PM
1st Gear
Default front bumper removal trouble

I got a new grill w 4 tabs, which take screws through them. the bottom two holes line up with ones already in the front bumper but in order to get the top two in i need to take the bumper off and drill 2 new holes. problem is, ive never removed a bumper on a TT and im having a little trouble... ive gotten all the torx bolts out that i can see and the ones in the wheel well but it seems like there is something still attached, maybe im missing something. but its about the middle of the bumper and on either side of where the grill is. any help would greatly be appreciated.. thanxxx.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: front bumper removal trouble

1) Jack up, remove front wheels
2) Remove front part of fender liners
3) Remove the 2 10mm nuts on studs at the corners toward the sides holding the nose to the body shell. Loosen 2 torx bolts holding black side clip
4) Remove the 6 torx bolts along the top of the nose
5) Remove 2 phillips screws at the bottom
6) Pull nose off, unclip aliens.
[/align]

HEADLIGHT REMOVAL
Remove the 3 TORX BOLTS
1) Remove front one
2) Remove top one
3) Loosen bottom one (from inside the wheel well) and flip support bracket out of the way
4) Wiggle out and unplug

Old 05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

thanks, do you have an exploded view of that diagram or maybe a link where i can see it a little bigger?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

There are 4-10mm nuts that require a deep socket and long extension to remove. Those may be where you're having your problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:14 AM
1st Gear

Hello CicnyTT,

I am not being skeptical or anything, just wanted to double check.

Do you really need to remove front tires to get the front bumper off?

I was thinking about installing angel eyes to haedlights, then I found out I had to take the front bumper off first, then now I see you writing tires need to go off for the bumper to be removed..

Maybe it's too much work for me just for the angel eyes. What a maintenance UNfriendly design!

Regards,

K

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

Removing the tires makes the job easier, but it"s not necessary. Access to the bumper cover nuts can be acheived by turning each tire as you work. In Cincys' defense all he did was cut and paste a diagram to try and help. Everything from Audi always recommends removing the tires.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

I see. Thanks for the info. I still won't give up my hope for angel eyes installation then.

Rgrds,

K

Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 AM
cmh

There are two screws under the bumper, a row of torx across the top edge and the four wheel well nuts. I don't remove the wheels to pull the bumper, just undo the front halfs of both the wheel liners, then crank the wheels all the way to one side, undo the wheel well nuts on one side and then turn the wheels the other way to get access to the other side. Besides the time savings, I like leaving the wheels on b/c I lean on the wheel while I am contorting my arm to undo the nuts and I also get sketchy about working under a car on jacks/stands.

If you have all the fasteners off and it still feels tight it could be that your headlite washers are caught on some of the rubber ducting, they kind of slide into groves and you have to use some force to get them out. Have somebody help you, pull straight forward on the bumper from the bottom edge of each wheel well to get it started, then get the top and center. good luck-

Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 AM
1st Gear

This link should help with both bumper cover removal and Angel Eyes installation...

http://public.fotki.com/mcphill/audi...ff/angel_eyes/